[Michlib-l] Fax Responses Compilation

Jessica Wilhoite jwilhoite at romuluslibrary.org
Tue Mar 12 15:04:53 EDT 2019

Hi all,

I asked for fax information a while back. Here are the responses:

AADL - We've switched all our public printers over to Lexmark MFPs (they seem to have one of the more usable interfaces) that do print, copy, scan (email & usb) and fax. Pretty much everything is done via touch interface and scanning bed so it is fairly simple for patrons to pick up.

We only charge for printing and patrons pay at the desk after having the job printed.

We have a VoIP phone system and the cost of additional lines are negligible so we decided not to charge for faxing. We were able to do this by:

- Turning off incoming calls on the numbers assigned to fax (patrons can only send faxes not receive)
- Turning off dialing to non-US/800 numbers from fax numbers (any US number is in our calling plan so no surprise charges)
- In high traffic areas where we have two printers they share a line through a splitter so only one sends at a time. Reduces the number of lines needed.

Our machines are out on the public floor so turning off incoming also has privacy and other benefits.

This has been a high use service since we launched so it is definitely worth at least trying out

We also have Envisionware stations at our library which function as our print release stations as well as for faxing and scanning documents. We usually have to walk patrons through the process the first time but it's fairly easy and works well overall. They can scan to email for free or fax documents at $1.00/page. There are different features (color, black & white, file type, etc.). It's nice to have several options all at one location.

Dana Allen

Administrative Clerk

Howell Carnegie District Library

Hudsonville - Hi! We do have a machine that patrons can access themselves to do copying, faxing and scanning to email.

Our coin-op machine could not technologically handle the copying together with the faxing – so we removed it and put out a donation box.

In the beginning we had to go over and help folks quite a bit – but they are getting the hang of it. Of course, we have posted instructions. A confirmation report is printed out at the end of the transaction to give them assurance that it went through.

Our donation box suggests $1 to scan or fax (any amount of pages), and .15 per page for copies. So far we have not seen any drop in revenue from when we had the coin op for public copying and the staff doing all the faxing/scanning.

The staff still do fax and scan for folks who don’t want to do it themselves, but I would say about half the folks now do themselves.

Clarkston – Here at CIDL we purchased a TBS SimpleScan Station, it is similar to the Envisionware product, and does scanning and faxing that are needed. Scanning we do not charge for, but faxing is $.50 / page.

GDL also has an LDS from Envisionware at our largest branch. We do not charge for scanning or emailing from it (patrons login using their own email accounts). We do charge for printing. I think we’ve had it for about 3 years now. If I recall correctly it was about $8k.

At our smaller branches we have a Xerox printer/scanner/fax that staff can use to scan to usb for patrons at no charge. Those machines run about $350-$550 depending on if it’s B&W or color.

We second the recommendation for the Envisionware LDS Scanner/Fax combination. Hefty up-front cost, but is such a time-saver for staff and patrons!

Today’s Business Solutions “The Simple Scan” machine, what we have here, is essentially the same equipment. We had an LDS during my time at Genesee Dist Lib, and here in Clarkston we have one from Today’s Bus. Solutions. They’re both great.

We bought an Envisionware Library Document System a couple of years ago. Not cheap but well worth. It is a self-serve scan or fax machine, and can be set up to be free or coin op. The front end software is very intuitive, and while patrons do occasionally require help they have proven they can figure it out for themselves. Connie Jo

Three Rivers - At the Three Rivers Public Library, we have a self-serve fax machine out on a public counter near the circulation desk with directions. We purchased it ourselves – it’s a Brother Fax 2840 – and pay for toner and parts ourselves. It’s fairly simple to use, but patrons still need help sometimes. We charge $1.00 per page to send or receive faxes, but if they use a cover page provided by us, we don’t charge for that page.

Herrick - At Herrick, we use a FaxScan24 unit ( [ https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.fax24.us_-3Fpage-5Fid-3D154&d=DwQF-g&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=rA5qvfmuF655xSNXYrS7nwXrZDEo8825A_i37cH24Jg&m=OeuCkkyNa837WcEzYlFMJW3CEzHnJdDy0op81jO8c-Y&s=wANBo1ifMol3iUh2hUjOOG3q3UVcHeAzWe4HQxLlLBQ&e= | https://www.fax24.us/?page_id=154 ] ) The only thing we need to provide for this unit is a phone line. We also purchase prepaid fax cards that our patrons can then purchase from us. We do have some issues with our unit, but our unit is considerably older than the ones featured on their website. It only sends faxes, we do not offer an option for receiving faxes. It is also a little pricey for our patrons, but it works for us.

Northville - We've used Fax24 for this service for awhile, and it works reasonably well. It's self service, requires little to no staff intervention for use (except if it has problems OR the patron wants to buy a physical 'fax card' to pay for the faxing service). It's essentially a co-location deal, and does require a single standalone POTS line available for it, but once hooked up... there's very little staff need to do to provide the service.

It's NOT the cheapest service for the end user, but it works. You can find them online at [ https://www.fax24.us/ | https://www.fax24.us/ ]

Thanks!

--
Jessica Wilhoite
Assistant Director/Youth Services Librarian

Serving Romulus and Huron Township