[Michlib-l] A note from the Historical Society of Michigan

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri May 3 09:30:24 EDT 2019

Dear Friend of HSM,

Did you know that we run historical motor coach tours?

The Michiganders on the RoadT motor coach tour program was developed by HSM
to allow Michiganders to experience the culture and heritage of all 50
states with a group of like-minded history enthusiasts. Each tour is
handcrafted by me, HSM's director of education, and includes one-of-a-kind
itineraries featuring historical stops, museums, local attractions, nightly
dining experiences in local restaurants, and comfortable accommodations at
modern chain hotels.

One of our upcoming tours is a trip to the Hudson River Valley from July 12
to 20. Are you interested in exploring an area rich with vast scenes of
natural beauty, culture, and fascinating history? Would you like to see what
all the fuss is about? Are you looking to experience local history around
the United States, where all the details are handled for you?

Join us as we enjoy some of the sites that have inspired Americans through
the generations-including the Steamtown National Historic Site, U.S.
Military Academy at West Point, Franklin D. Roosevelt Library and Museum,
Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site, Olana State Historic Site,
Historic Huguenot Street, Lyndhurst Mansion, and Philipsburg Manor. The
Hudson River Valley is the site of several key battles of the American
Revolutionary War, and in more recent history, countless painters from
across the United States and around the globe have found artistic
inspiration in the valley's brilliant scenery. That's why we're calling this
excursion "Painter & Patriots: Hudson River Valley Tour."

This 9-day, 8-night tour from July 12 to 20 is a fantastic package deal with
all dinners, breakfasts, accommodations, entrance fees, and transportation
included for $1,995 per person.

Walk through our 9-days on the road with the itinerary attached to this
e-mail, or learn more
<http://hsmichigan.org/2019/03/04/michiganders-on-the-road/> on our website.

Where are we going? Take a peek at some of our tour stops along our 9-day
itinerary:

.         Steamtown National Historic Site - Steam locomotives galore! We'll
have a train ride, behind-the-scenes tour, and guided tour.

.         U.S. Military Academy at West Point - America's oldest
continuously operating military post. We'll explore its cemetery, visitors
center, and galleries.

.         Franklin D. Roosevelt Home, Museum, and Top Cottage - A 300-acre
site, the home of America's only 4-term president is vast and worth an
entire day of exploration.

.         Val-Kill - Eleanor Roosevelt's home, this site was saved from
destruction and stands as a living history memorial for the former First
Lady.

.         Olana State Historic Site - The home of painter Frederick Church,
this site is an icon of naturalistic landscape design which we'll thoroughly
explore.

.         Hudson River Cruise - Sit back and relax on a two-hour narrated
sight-seeing cruise on the Rip Van Winkle.

.         Locust Grove & New Paltz - An Italianate villa from 1851 and a
guided tour of Historic Huguenot Street in New Paltz, founded in 1678.

.         Lyndhurst Mansion - A famous stone Gothic Revival mansion
featuring turrets and a tower, this mansion was listed by Forbes magazine as
one of America's most beautiful mansions.

.         Philipsburg Manor - Philipsburg Manor was part of a Dutch
patroonship and its legacy still stands, including the Old Dutch Church.

.         Sunnyside & Sleepy Hollow - the home of America's "Founding Father
of Literature," Washington Irving.

.         Boscobel House & Gardens - Built from 1804 to 1808, this
Federal-style home is a picturesque last stop before we travel home.

.         And more!

I hope you'll consider joining us this July. Our Michiganders on the Road
program is a great way to experience American history, meet new friends, and
engage with HSM. For more information, please call or e-mail me at (517)
324-1828 or myers at hsmichigan.org. We can't wait to have you join us!

Sincerely,

Robert Myers

Director of Education