[Michlib-l] Youth & Teen Services Updates

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri May 24 10:46:05 EDT 2019

Upcoming Webinars & Workshops

Creating a Tween Collection<https://libraryofmichigan.z2systems.com/np/clients/libraryofmichigan/event.jsp?event=229>
Thursday, September 12th, 2:00 PM EDT
Thinking of creating a collection just for tweens? Curious why such a collection is important? Join Karen M. Smith, a Michigan librarian and author of "Creating a Tween Collection: A Practical guide for Librarians," as she shares tips on tween literature, carving out a space, budgeting, and more. Webinar attendees will receive a free copy of the book; space is limited!  If unable to attend live, the webinar will be recorded for registrants.

Save the Date for 2020's "Imagine Your Story" and Virtual Reality Workshop!: Registration will open later this summer, but for now save the following dates on your 2019 Fall calendars: Monday, November 18 (Bloomfield Township Public Library, Bloomfield Twp), Tuesday, November 19 (Portage District Library, Portage), and Thursday, November 21 (Otsego County Library, Gaylord).
Nationally known storyteller Will Stuck will present on the 2020 Collaborative Summer Library Program's "Imagine Your Story."  From passive programming to decorating to age-specific ideas, Stuck will help refresh your summer reading programs.  Later in the day we will take the theme a step further and dive into the world of Virtual Reality with Kevin McDonough, Reference Librarian at Northern Michigan University, learning about different VR equipment, experiencing a virtual reality for yourself, and resources to support programming in your library with VR.

These programs are supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. #IMLS

Programming

CSLP Summer Reading Champions<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe3krHkVt7MZtWiE8dJyeL-yvBAoH1DqG>
This year CSLP has not one, but six Reading Champions!

  *   Dr. Kjell Lindgren: Astronaut!
  *   Dr. Lindy Elkin-Tanton: Scientist
  *   Dr. Seth Shostak: Astronomer
  *   Dr. Michelle Thaller: Communications Director
  *   Erin Teagan: Author
  *   Arika Egan: Graduate Student
These videos are perfect for promoting summer reading at schools, within the library, or shared over social media. All the videos can be found here:
https://www.cslpreads.org/nationalsummerreadingchampion/<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cslpreads.org%2Fnationalsummerreadingchampion%2F&data=02%7C01%7Clancasterc5%40michigan.gov%7C1df61021afeb481a7a5f08d6d883ce4c%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C636934457940465508&sdata=Cbwi5YmuMfx%2FtWwGU8r2Nf9yhJXOzTKDHDignuhQQo0%3D&reserved=0>.  General PSAs<https://www.cslpreads.org/2019-psas/> are also available on their website.

NASA @ My Library
We've added more kits for public libraries to check out and conduct programming with NASA @ My Library tools & materials.  Learn what is in each kit and check one out via our NaML website<https://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,9327,7-381-88855_89743_89748---,00.html>.
Also, don't forget:
Apollo 11 Mission LiveStream
July 15th (4pm-5pm EDT)
Join NASA & STARnet for a Live Webcast Event<http://www.starnetlibraries.org/apollo-11-moon-landing/> to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission.
This live webcast will feature a guided recreation of the Apollo 11 voyage - the space-flight that landed the first two astronauts on the Moon.
What was the sequence of this incredible mission? Where on the Moon did they land? And how did they return safely to Earth?
Join us for a guided recreation of Apollo 11's journey to see how this mission was executed by crew members and mission control in Houston.
Webcast Information:
Date/Time: July 15, 2019 | 4:00pm EDT
Webcast URL: https://youtu.be/Xhh7mNUJ9O<https://youtu.be/Xhh7mNUJ9Oo>o
This live webcast is brought to you by the American Museum of Natural History<https://www.amnh.org/> and the STAR Library Network's NASA@ My Library program.

Ready to Read Michigan's 2019 Program Report <https://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/LM_2019_RTRM_Program_Report_655991_7.pdf> is out!  33% of public libraries responded, reporting over 15,000 children attending RTRM events in March 2019.  These surveys really help us tell our story and secure funding for programs, so thank you to all who took a few minutes to report back.
These programs are supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. #IMLS
Resources

MiYouth Listserv!
The Library of Michigan has begun a listserv specifically for public library staff who conduct children and teen programming and services in Michigan.  To sign-up go to: http://mail2.mcls.org/mailman/listinfo/miyouth. I will be conducting polling, discussing youth services related topics, and announcing upcoming trainings and programs.  I know there are a number of youth services staff not on Michlib-L, but they will want to sign-up for this new listserv!  Please spread the word to anyone on your team in youth services.

Library Card Sign-up Toolkit with Toy Story 4!
http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/library-card-sign-month-toolkit-introduction

MiRead: Michigan's Early Literacy Portal Going Live - Summer 2019

The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is pleased to support the launch of the MiRead application. This tool supports the Read by Grade 3 (RBG3) law and the Individual Reading Instruction Plan (IRIP) process. MiRead supports the work of the Literacy Essentials by providing a clear and compelling view and a focus on Tier-I, ensuring that every student has access to high-quality literacy instruction every day. The MDE's commitment to work collaboratively to support literacy efforts at the local, regional, and statewide levels meets our Literacy Priority and Top 10 in 10 Goals 2, 5, and 7. The MiRead application is powered by MiStrategyBank, when intervention is needed for focus on best practices and is enabled by MiDataHub to make data into information you can use.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/Early_Literacy_Portal_655848_7.pdf<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbXNpZD0mYXVpZD0mbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTkwNTIzLjYyMjIzNzEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTkwNTIzLjYyMjIzNzEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzExMTUxMiZlbWFpbGlkPWxhbmNhc3RlcmM1QG1pY2hpZ2FuLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9bGFuY2FzdGVyYzVAbWljaGlnYW4uZ292JnRhcmdldGlkPSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&101&&&https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.michigan.gov%2Fdocuments%2Fmde%2FEarly_Literacy_Portal_655848_7.pdf&data=02%7C01%7CSchaferM%40michigan.gov%7C0bbef4e0a408437eadb708d6de2531f0%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C636940648661394557&sdata=ve0%2FnVHuePlDbD%2B8wsmOf8yb1bK1AtYnEfXfahnOZWE%3D&reserved=0>

ALSC: NEW 2019 Booklists: Tough Topics
The books on these lists are to help inspire conversations with children going through challenging situations like the death of a loved one, an unexpected move, natural disasters and more. They are available for grades K-2nd, 3rd-5th and 6th-8th. Resources for adults are also included. Download <https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fala.informz.net%2Fz%2FcjUucD9taT04NTY3MjcxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0NDk1MzEmbGk9NjYzNDQ1NzI%2Findex.html&data=02%7C01%7Clancasterc5%40michigan.gov%7C31bfa256c8974c57abe808d6defb0a52%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C636941567119360430&sdata=7nx1lgxltcGwJq6eDoyfweT2EKrAi%2BzogO0%2BX3Hjlb4%3D&reserved=0> them today!

YALSA: Find Great Teen Books
Search 4,000+ books, audiobooks, and films from YALSA's book awards and book lists.<http://booklists.yalsa.net/>
While these books have been selected for teens from 12 to 18 years of age, the award-winning titles and the titles on YALSA's selected lists span a broad range of reading and maturity levels. We encourage adults to take an active role in helping individual teens choose those books that are the best fit for them and their families.

Have a fantastic weekend,

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan