[Michlib-l] Information request from author

Bartlett, Bernadette (MDE) BartlettB at michigan.gov
Fri May 24 13:35:50 EDT 2019

Hello - please see the message from a writer looking for information about a rare Michigan state government document and libraries that may have held it.  If you have any information to pass along, please respond to the email link in the text below and copy me, Bernadette Bartlett<mailto:bartlettb at michigan.gov> as well. Thank you!

Dear Librarians of Michigan:

My name is Kendra Greene<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fartandseek.org%2F2019%2F05%2F17%2Fdeadly-beautiful-dallas-artist-explores-history-of-arsenic-wallpaper-in-the-18th-century%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cbartlettb%40michigan.gov%7C8339ff4a4f5b44db2ccf08d6e00df5ae%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C1%7C636942747889878066&sdata=tL3vmvYBfgoBwzu1uLGonZG1Gl6b4JnMVOSSr%2BM75GQ%3D&reserved=0>, and I'm an essayist researching a book about the dangerous things we keep in collections because it would be more dangerous to forget, deny, censure, or destroy them. I've taken a special interest in the 1874 book of arsenical wallpapers Shadows From the Walls of Death: Being Arsenical Wallpapers, Gathered by R. C. Kenzie, Member of State Board of Health.

This book of two pages of text and 86 leaves of arsenical wallpapers was made in an edition of 100 and sent to the "leading libraries of the state." I've been able to locate 4 extant copies (at the National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan State University in Lansing, and the old Department of Public Health copy now at the Michigan History Center) and a pamphlet version of the text (at Harvard's Countway Medical Library).

If you can help me (1) locate another copy of the book, or (2) identify Michigan libraries that even existed in 1874, please let me know.

With appreciation,
A. Kendra Greene

Bernadette M. Bartlett
Michigan Documents Librarian
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI  48915

517-335-1462
bartlettb at michigan.gov<mailto:bartlettb at michigan.gov>

Specializing in Michigan state and local government information.