[Michlib-l] School libraries - lost book policies

Klaudia Janek kjanek at bloomfield.org
Thu Nov 7 12:21:10 EST 2019

No fines/late fees.
Unlimited checkout.
We do try to get money for lost books (just like for textbooks)
I'll email checked out book reminders.
I'll mail (way) overdue notices to get the book back.
I'll post reminders in the parent weekly message.

However, as a public school, if a student transfers and takes school
property - there is nothing we can really do.  A free education is a free
education.  We can't do collections or have the manpower to pursue students
who have missing materials.  That is just the cost of doing business.
Textbooks go missing, pens/pencils/paper gets used up, desks are broken,
chromebooks die, library books go missing.  We chalk it up as a loss.
Replace what we can and move on.  I have a several thousand dollar budget,
I do some fundraising and ask for donations.  I probably lose about $200
worth of library books a year.  Not bad considering that if 2 students each
lose a biology textbook, that is around $375.

I don't know if private schools can be more aggressive with collecting
various fines.  I think good relationships go a long way with students.
But ultimately they are kids with no income.  Once I exhaust email and
snail mail options, I don't think we can do much more.

Klaudia

Klaudia Janek, MLIS

*School Librarian*

*IB Extended Essay Coordinator*

*Michigan Association for Media in Education - 2019 Immediate Past
President*

*AASL **Frances Henne Award Committee Chair - 2019*

248 341 5925

https://libresbooksmi.blogspot.com/

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM Jessica Holman via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> This is for school libraries.
>
> What is your lost book policy?
> Do you make an effort to get back books that leave the school with
> students who transfer out? If so, what steps do you take?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Jessica Holman
> Library Director