[Michlib-l] NEWS RELEASE: Michigan History Day State Finals Move to Central Michigan University

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Nov 22 09:21:23 EST 2019

cid:image001.jpg at 01D049CB.CCD4EF00

Historical Society of Michigan

7435 Westshire Drive

Lansing, MI 48917

Contact: Amy Bradfield
(517) 324-1828
 <mailto:bradfield at hsmichigan.org> bradfield at hsmichigan.org

For Immediate Release

Michigan History DayR State Finals Move to Central Michigan University

LANSING, Mich.-The Historical Society of Michigan (HSM) announces that the
2020 Michigan History DayR State Finals will be held at Central Michigan
University (CMU) on Saturday, April 25, 2020. For the past four years, the
event was held at Bay City Central High School, but it will now move to the
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) on the CMU campus, which
is located in Mount Pleasant. The CMU campus can easily accommodate the more
than 1,200 people expected to attend the contest, including students,
teachers, family members and volunteer judges, all of whom travel from every
region of Michigan to participate in the State Finals.

"We enjoyed being at Bay City Central High School, but we are so excited to
move the contest to CMU," said Michigan History Day state coordinator Amy
Bradfield. "As well as being centrally located within the state, CMU
provides our student participants the opportunity to present their research
in a prestigious academic environment."

Throughout the day, student participants and their families can experience
what a college campus has to offer, including exploring museums, listening
to presentations and joining campus tours. Jay Martin, director of the
Museum of Cultural and Natural History and Museum Studies Program at CMU,
approached HSM about hosting the State Finals and worked with administration
and staff at CMU to make the move possible. Students qualify for the State
Finals by participating in one of the 11 district contests across the state.
CMU is also hosting the District 5 contest on Saturday, March 21, 2020.

"Bringing students and faculty together to share knowledge and celebrate
learning is what we do every day at CMU" said CLASS Dean Richard Rothaus.
"We are excited to welcome the students, teachers, and families to campus
and join in this great Michigan tradition."

Michigan History Day (National History Day in Michigan) is an educational
program of the Historical Society of Michigan. The yearlong educational
program encourages students in grades 4 through 12 to explore local, state,
national and world history. Students can enter their work into a series of
competitive events, advancing from school contests to district, state and
national competitions. For more information, please visit
hsmichigan.org/mhd.

National History Day is a nonprofit education organization headquartered in
College Park, Maryland. Established in 1974, National History Day promotes
an appreciation for historical research among middle and high school
students through multiple annual programs. Winners from the State Finals
move to the national competition in June.

To learn more about Central Michigan University, please visit www.cmich.edu.

The Historical Society of Michigan, the state's oldest cultural
organization, helps connect Michigan's past to students, educators,
historical organizations and the public through educational programs,
conferences, publications, awards, workshops, referral services, networking
opportunities and support for local history organizations. The Historical
Society of Michigan is a member-supported educational 501(c)(3) nonprofit
nongovernmental organization. For more information, please visit
hsmichigan.org.

#  #  #

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this

e-mail as part of your participation in the Michlib-l mailing list
(listserv), please follow their removal process.