[Michlib-l] Behavior Standards, Soft Skills and holding staff accountable to these

Andrea Ingmire aingpwpl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 16:52:54 EST 2019

Hi collective mind!
We've been talking a lot of late about effective soft skills and how to
hold staff accountable to them. Part of this conversation has involved a
consultant who drafted for us behavior standards. The small group sessions
that were used to create these standards were wonderful and much good
information came out of them. But, the behavior standards fell a bit flat.
It ended up feeling condescending to staff (and much like the guidelines at
my daughters elementary school.)

In our staff conversations we discussed the soft skill section of our job
descriptions. Every job description at the library has one section that is
exactly the same for all staff. It covers 'soft skills' such as: Customer
Service, Teamwork, Communication, Adaptability, and Image.

As we discussed these soft skills and the behavior standard draft we
decided that melding the two into one document would make the most sense.
As a result we're looking to re-write this section of the job description.

I believe that soft skills are some of the most important skills effective
employees can possess, and want to keep this section in our job
descriptions. But, I have not doubt that some serious re-working is
necessary.

Anyone have a document covering soft skills/behavior standards that you use
at your library?

Thanks!
Andrea

*Andrea IngmireLibrary DirectorPeter White Public Library*
(906) 226-4303 (office)
(906) 250-0080 (cell)
(906) 226-1783 (fax)
*http://pwpl.info/ <http://pwpl.info/>*