[Michlib-l] Receipt printers

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Thu Nov 21 12:12:15 EST 2019

Hello Kat,

In our system (Milwaukee County, WI) we use the STAR TSP654II USB Thermal receipt Printer which this year cost $245.62 each. Our system was able to program the "you saved $" message, but I'm not sure if that is a function of the printer and/or the ILS.

While you are looking at receipt printers, please also consider getting the phenol-free receipt paper. Many people do not know this is an issue and the regular paper contains phenol neurotoxins. Phenol-free is a little more expensive but we thought worth the price to protect patrons and staff. Patrons may only get one receipt from us, but staff are handling that paper ALL THE TIME! I now refuse receipts at most stores too unless it's an item I may want to return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a link and the text from a recent news article on the change at our area libraries.
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/shorewood-public-library-other-branches-get-rid-of-toxic-receipt-paper

Libraries in Milwaukee County are taking a big step to get rid of toxic paper that could hurt your health.

The idea to switch the receipt paper came from Meenal Atre, a regular at the Shorewood Public Library.

"My goal was to just have the Shorewood Library make that decision and switch to phenol-free paper," said Atre. "The conventional receipts have a chemical in them called bisphenol, which is considered an endocrine disrupter."

These are also known as chemicals that can interfere with hormones. Some scientists believe those chemicals can cause cancer if someone is repeatedly exposed.

A recent study from the Ecology Center's Healthy Stuff Program found more than 200 receipts from 150 businesses tested positive for the chemical.

"It's in almost all of the receipts," said Atre.

Rachel Collins, the Shorewood Library director, said the switch to phenol-free receipts costs them about $135 more per year.

"It never crossed my mind that there could be toxins or anything wrong with our receipts," said Collins.

She was on board right away.

"It was a no-brainer that we didn't want our staff working with this or the public, but the staff in particular with these eight-hour shifts, five-hour shifts of touching this paper again and again," said Collins.

Collins brought the idea to the Milwaukee County Federated Library System. Most branches switched to phenol-free receipts. Others are in the process.

"I love the fact that it was really started with one person who is really driven," said Collins.

Atre had no idea her idea would take off like this.

"It is possible to start small and make a small difference that can have big impact," said Atre. "You just have to go with it."

Going phenol-free is also safer for the environment.

Sincerely,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed
Library Director
N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources.

*Please be advised electronic mail becomes a "public record" as allowed under public record laws when sent or received as part of normal business processes.

Message: 2