[Michlib-l] Reminder: Young Authors' Festival for kids in grades 3-5

Raya Samet rsamet at umich.edu
Mon Oct 7 13:23:41 EDT 2019

Hello all,
This is a reminder that our Writing Contest for Michigan kids in 3rd, 4th,
and 5th grades is still accepting submissions until THIS FRIDAY, October
11th (encourage kids to send in their entries!) and that registration for
the FREE half-day festival will open online on October 14th.

*Many of you have already helped us to spread the word about the Young
Authors' Festival and its writing contest to kids, parents, and teachers in
southeast Michigan, but we need some help for one more push ahead of some
important dates!*

[image: YAF_Logo_noyear.jpg]
This year will mark the 7th annual Young Authors' Festival at the
University of Michigan-Dearborn's Mardigian Library. The festival is
completely FREE and open to students in grades 3-5, their families, and
their teachers. We feature an author visit and fun writing breakout
sessions led by our pre-service education students, while parents and
teachers learn literacy strategies. We also have a writing contest, and
present awards and prizes (Barnes & Noble gift certificates) at the
festival.

   - 2019 Writing Contest deadline: *October 11*
   - 2019 Festival: *November 9* (Registration opens October 14)

More info at: https://library.umd.umich.edu/yaf/

*Here's how you can help: *
(1) Post the flyer
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=14iivEYeVKjgsyWHk5F53RAu_mVRAAy_Q> or put
it into the hands of someone who should have it.
(2) Send out the info in a newsletter or share it on your blog. Have a
social media feed? Share our Facebook event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/374860506530756/> or give the posts in the
Mardigian Library's social media content about the YAF a boost.
(3) Encourage kids to read the featured book this summer, before they come
to the festival this fall. It is Jean Alicia Elster's *The Colored Car*.
There are lots of copies available through MeLCat
<http://search.mel.org/iii/encore/record/C__Rb25978764>!
(4) Do you have some young writers in your library or run any writing
programming? Encourage kids (directly, or through parents and
teachers) to enter
our writing contest <https://library.umd.umich.edu/yaf/writingcontest.php>!
(Deadine THIS FRIDAY, October 11th.)
(5) If you have any questions, please email yaf-contact at umich.edu.

Really and truly, thank you for helping us to spread the word and bring
kids from all over the metro-Detroit/southeastern Michigan region to this
FREE event to promote literacy and a love of writing.

Thank you,

Raya Samet
Prounouns: she/her
Education, Health & Human Services Librarian
University of Michigan - Dearborn
Mardigian Library, Room 1252, AND
Fairlane Campus South, Suite C, C6
313-593-4936