[Michlib-l] Macmillan Embargo and Consortia: Advantage Copies Will Be Available For Purchase Through OverDrive/B&T

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Wed Oct 9 07:47:39 EDT 2019

Good Morning,

Recently there has been a great deal of discussion in the library world concerning the soon to be implemented (November 1) by Macmillan Publishing Company "one copy only for purchase initially; additional copies not available for purchase until eight weeks later" eBook policy.

[ http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2019/09/ala-launches-national-campaign-against-e-book-embargo | http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2019/09/ala-launches-national-campaign-against-e-book-embargo ]

The first question we had was, "what about libraries that are part of a purchasing cooperative but also have the ability to purchase additional titles/copies for use by their own patrons?"

Perhaps in response, or maybe because Macmillan lacked a complete understanding as to how the majority of public libraries offer access to digital materials, ie via what OverDrive calls a consortia, there is this:

[ http://www.readersfirst.org/news/2019/9/26/a-small-change-for-consortia-in-macmillan-licensing | http://www.readersfirst.org/news/2019/9/26/a-small-change-for-consortia-in-macmillan-licensing ]

OverDrive has yet to make an official announcement concerning the above, although this information was conveyed to me during my September call with OverDrive. You should probably expect this to also mean there will be a big push from OverDrive to sign up additional libraries for OverDrive Advantage. Look for some sort of official announcement from OverDrive in another week or so, as the eight week Macmillan embargo, terms of which are still subject to change, is scheduled to go into effect on November 1, 2019.

OverDrive's Daiva Madjar will be at MLA if you have additional questions concerning the Macmillan embargo, or anything else OverDrive related.

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager
The Library Network