[Michlib-l] Thrift Books Compilation

Tracy Logan logant at cadillaclibrary.org
Tue Oct 15 17:09:45 EDT 2019

Hello All,

Here is a compilation of the information I received from the Thriftbooks
rep and several of our colleagues. Thanks to all who responded!

Thrift Books Rep:

Thrift Books is the largest seller of used books in the U.S. selling over
20 million books last year.  Our Library Program provides an easy solution
for libraries and schools to earn top dollar for discarded and donated
books while
making a difference.  We pay commissions monthly, provide detailed
reporting, and easy shipping options. Your unwanted books find new homes by
online resale or donation to literacy programs worldwide.  More information
can be found at: www.thriftbooks.com/library/ .

A typical question that comes up is minimum shipping counts.  If you are
able to drop off at our Chicago Processing Center, then you can drop off as
many boxes as you like in as many trips as you like.  In regard to shipping
boxes in, while the number does change, currently the minimum shipment size
is set at 30 boxes with the heavy preference being that the boxes be
palletized (as pictured below).  We don’t have any annual quotas on how
many boxes you have to send us, we are here to partner and help you fund
raise (some current partners only ship 1 time per year)

To speak to someone at Thriftbooks about the library program call
1-888-861-1065.

Library Staff Responses:

I have only used it to purchase, not to sell, but it is a great site. I am
impressed with their selection, prices, and customer service.

My experience is completely positive.  You have to box the books, and
shrink wrap them on pallets.  Boxes are generally free if you save them,
shrink wrap is cheap at Amazon, and local businesses will often give you a
pallet or two.  You have to pay for half the shipping, which I suspected
meant we’d break even, but we’ve actually cleared a hundred dollars or so.
And we are a small library. We sent them 50 boxes, I think, last year. We
did Better World Books for a couple of years until they decided they wanted
us to scan the books for approval before sending them.

 We have used Thrift books in the past and found that we did not make any
money however you don't need to pay shipping if you didn't make a profit.
So, we found a home for unwanted books but didn't make anything. I would
assume that volume of materials is the key to benefiting from Thrift Books.
We also only submitted one round of donations.

Our Friends of the Library-Dearborn manage our donated books and they use
Thrift Books.  To date, they have been pleased.  I know that Thrift Books
recently changed some of their policies.  My recollection is it has to do
with their pick-up service.

Hope this helps!

--
Tracy Logan