[Michlib-l] Upcoming activities: 9/17 webinar Teaching STEM with Indigenous Algorithms; 9/26 workshop on senior making and creativity

Kristin Fontichiaro font at umich.edu
Mon Sep 9 16:01:02 EDT 2019

Hi, y'all --

Gentle reminder that we have two free events coming up this month!

*Tues., 9/17, 4pm*
*Webinar: Teaching STEM with Indigenous Algorithms with Ron Eglash*
Ron travels the world unraveling the patterns used to braid hair, weave
baskets, assemble roofs, and more. Then he creates learning and coding
modules that let teens manipulate those patterns to create their own
digital -- and sometimes physical -- products. If you have an interest in
more diverse STEM programming, we hope you'll join us. This webinar is
co-produced by the University of Michigan School of Information and the
Library of Michigan and made possible in part by the Institute of Museum
and Library Services.
For details, registration, and information on future webinars, visit
https://www.eventbrite.com/o/university-of-michigan-school-of-information-and-the-library-of-michigan-26412644287

*Thurs., 9/26, 10am - noon*
*Workshop: Senior Summer Camp*
*Ypsilanti District Library, Michigan Avenue Branch*
In Summer 2019, a team from the University of Michigan School of
Information's Making in Michigan Libraries project worked with the
Ypsilanti District Library's Michigan Avenue branch to create Senior Summer
Camp, a making and creativity series for those 55+ and up. We'll share what
we learned about building attendance, program activities, and what drew
folks in (versus what brought them back). This is a low-key, friendly
meet-up. This workshop is co-organized by the University of Michigan School
of Information and the Michigan Avenue Branch of the Ypsilanti District
Library and made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library
Services RE-05-15-0021-15.
For details and registration, visit
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/senior-summer-camp-workshop-for-public-librarians-tickets-62365768693

Kristin