[Michlib-l] Shelving Vox and Wonderbooks

Andy Schuck aschuck at tadl.org
Sun Sep 15 15:32:00 EDT 2019

I was asked by several people to share out the results of this. Please let
me know if you have any questions. Cheers,

Andy Schuck
Youth Services Coordinator
Traverse Area District Library
610 Woodmere Ave
Traverse City, MI 49686
231-932-8500, x260
www.tadl.org

Because of the awkwardness of the books, we have chosen to hang them in
media bags near the picture books section.  Even though we have a variety
of genres-- picture books, beginning readers and non-fiction--they are all
cataloged as "kits" and the appropriate call number is labeled on the
outside of the bag and on the spine of the book itself.  Our patrons have
no problem finding them and they circulate well. Hope that helps.

Mindy Schafer, Dewitt Library

We have ours in the same bank of shelves where we keep our leveled readers,
and we keep all the VOX and Wonderbooks together. We do not interfile them.
That way the people looking for them don't have to wander around on a
treasure hunt. :)

Britney

Library Director

Alvah N. Belding Memorial Library

302 E. Main St.

Belding, MI 48809

616.794.1450

Hi Andy,

We shelve our VOX (and soon to be Wonderbooks) in their own section next to
our Books with CDs, although we are phasing the Books with CDs out. At the
moment we only have VOX, so we shelves them as JE VOX and the author's last
3, or as J VOX 363.4 (or whatever numbers) if it's nonfiction. We just
placed an order for Wonderbooks, so those will also go in the same shelving
space but as either a chapter book or an easy reader, on their own separate
shelves (J VOX author last 3, or JER VOX author last 3). I saw that you
keep yours in tubs - We use multiple book ends on the same shelf to help
keep the VOX books upstanding and not too crazy, for all the good it does
us!

Let me know if you have other questions about ours!

Ashley Rosetto, Commerce Library

We put all our vox and wonderbooks on a special shelf – right before the
regular children’s audio books and kits.

We have a sign above it that says “Look and Listen”

Melissa Huisman, Library of Hudsonville

mhuisman at hudsonville.org :: 616-669-1255 x 5

P.s.  We used those big foam wall letters from Demco.

https://www.demco.com/foam-signage-letters

We shelve ours separately, as media kits (closest description in the system
that fits).  They're in the same area as our other picture books, so still
easy to find for the right age range.  We do further separate them by if
they're picture books, or if they're nonfiction.

Donald Priest

Director

Southgate Veterans Memorial Library

14680 Dix-Toledo Rd.

Southgate MI 48195

I just have a separate section for Vox books (I don't have wonderbooks yet)

They are shelved with our audiobooks on their own shelves next to our
hanging kits (book + CD)

I have fiction and nonfiction.

Even before I heard of wonderbooks being released I always thought of them
as a playaway version of our book/cd kits.

Allison Boyer

-----------------------------------

Head of Youth Services

Loutit District Library

Grand Haven, MI 49417

Youth Desk: 616-850-6916

Office: 616-850-6919

We keep these books in a separate section near our unusual items. We did
interfile our books that had a CD included. However, in order to make sure
people knew about the new VOX and Wonderbook technology we separated out
these books. I guess it also allows people who like these to find them
easier. We don't have a large collection, at this point maybe 35.

We are not separating the early/beginning readers into a separate section.
We keep the VOX and Wonderbooks altogether.

Hope this helps! Feel free to write if you have other questions.

Brenda Dunseth

Youth Services

Highland Township Public Library

Hi, Andy!  Our Vox books and Wonderbooks are relatively new, so they still
have a special display spot.  First we put them in bins near the other
audio collections (audiobooks on CD and Playways), but right now they are
highlighted by the new picture books with promotional materials I got free
from Playaway, in their bins but also with some on display stands on the
shelves.  In our catalog they are labeled as Audio-Enabled Books (the spine
has a sticker that says AEB above the call number) and we are keeping them
all (easy readers, non-fiction, and picture books) together.

Once our renovation is complete and we have to figure out a permanent spot
for them, I'm not sure what we'll do!

Laurie Walters

Youth Services Librarian

Brighton District Library

100 Library Drive

Brighton, MI 48116

810-229-6571

lwalters at brightonlibrary.info

We shelve ours with the Juv audiobook collection.  We also have our book &
CD read-a-longs there too.

Holly Hentz

Director

Hamburg Township Library

10411 Merrill Rd.  P.O. Box 247

Hamburg, MI  48139

810.231.1771

Hamburglibrary.org

We currently only have 5 VOX books and have them displayed on top of one of
our lower bookshelves. They are rarely in the library so the problem of
where to shelve them hasn't really come up yet.  Once the novelty of them
wears off and they aren't going out as frequently, I'm pretty sure that I
will not be shelving them within the regular JE collection, but will set
aside a section of shelving to place them together and not within the
regular collection so that I can keep an easy eye on them for damage etc.

I would be interested to know how others are dealing them so please include
me on any results email you might send out.

Thanks!

Beth Pierson

Youth Collection Development

White Lake Community Library