[Michlib-l] Personal update from me

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Mon Apr 6 11:02:44 EDT 2020

I regret to say my sister Angie in Michigan went to the hospital this weekend in Flint, MI. I kind of had to force her due to the family trait of stubbornness... But once I heard her on the phone I knew she wouldn't make it till Monday (she was trying to wait). I made her give my step-dad (her dad who's 83 and has cancer) the phone and told him I was going to listen in while he called 911 on another phone. She was taken in, quickly deteriorated, and was put on a ventilator. She is listed in "very critical" condition. We are awaiting her COVID test results. At 400+ pounds, she has been in and out of the hospital the last year numerous times, so she doesn't go into this with good health or good prospects. I am the point person for the family to call and get updates and then relay the info to everyone. Given that, and the stress on my brain, I'll be in less communication this week.

Stay safe. Stay home. If you go out, wear a mask.

Personal advice, not librarian advice: call/zoom/connect with your family and friends across the state/country/world to tell them you love them. Also, make your living will/power of attorney and update your emergency contacts asap and give the info to people so they have it. It does not good if it's just saved on your computer. My sister went into the hospital with none of that in place and it made it very difficult to get updates bc of the privacy laws. We finally figured out her dad was her listed emergency contact. I had to ask the nurse on the phone to confirm the name I gave him, bc he couldn't tell me outright. Then I had my step-dad call the nurse directly (at 11pm!) to get the "PIN" that the hospital requires for communication. Then he gave me the PIN. Find out before you are in an emergency, and potentially "very critical" how your local hospital handles it.

Hugs and love to everyone.
Nyama