[Michlib-l] Library Law Shorts- Corona Virus Edition

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Wed Apr 15 13:13:02 EDT 2020

Today's Topic:    Unemployment

Statistics show that potentially 1 out of every 6 Michigan workers will need unemployment assistance. Unfortunately, Library workers are part of that group.

Below are some links and information to assist both library management and staff in navigating the confusing maze of unemployment benefits.

General Information with links to employer and employee specific information
https://www.michigan.gov/leo/0,5863,7-336-78421_97241---,00.html
https://www.michiganbusiness.org/covid19/

Did you know about the Work Share program? It is an unemployment program in Michigan that permits employers to work reduced hours while also enabling them to obtain unemployment to make up a portion of lost wages.
https://www.michigan.gov/leo/0,5863,7-336-78421_97241_89981_90231_90233-352546--,00.html

Did you also know that part-time employees (who are not working) are also eligible for unemployment benefits?
https://www.michigan.gov/leo/0,5863,7-336-78421_97241_98585_98657-525453--,00.html

Need additional information about Unemployment as an employer?
https://www.michigan.gov/leo/0,5863,7-336-78421_97241_98677---,00.html

as an employee?
https://www.michigan.gov/leo/0,5863,7-336-78421_97241_98585---,00.html

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/uia/160_-_Claiming_UI_Benefit_In_Michigan_-_Jan2014_444213_7.pdf

Just in general?
https://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-help-tools/employment/unemployment-benefits-and-covid-19-coronavirus (Note the free legal aid help line at the bottom of the page). From Michigan Legal Help.

https://www.michamber.com/coronavirus-toolkit General information, including a webinar on the unemployment process from the Michigan Chamber of Commerce

We here at the Library of Michigan are working remotely and available to assist and provide information. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can help!

Sincerely,
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.