[Michlib-l] Thanks & How we're doing Curbside Pick Up at Whitefish Bay Library

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Thu Apr 23 14:30:36 EDT 2020

Hello,

First, I would like to say thanks for all the well wishes recently. I received so many personal emails that I couldn't keep with with directly responding to everyone. Please know that your kind words helped me get through the last couple of weeks.

As many type A's do, I distract myself from grief by staying busy (no worries, I am taking care of myself too). So I thought I'd share our communications and procedures for our coming "curbside pickup" service. Currently our Safer At Home order lasts till Tuesday 5/26, Memorial Day is 5/25, so we are planning curbside through 5/22. Last week the WI Governor said libraries can (not MUST) offer curbside service as of Fri 4/24.

You  may use this link to our website to see our communication to patrons: https://www.wfblibrary.org/about/curbside_pickup.php

Behind the scenes stuff

Capacity vs Demand:

We can accommodate 48 pickups per day, so we know demand will outstrip availability. We anticipate serving up to 750-1000 people with curbside from 4/27-5/22. FYI, our average day when open has 550 people through the door and 900  items checked out, in a suburb of 14,000. Once all time slots are full through 5/22, we will thank patrons for their patience and understanding during these extraordinary times, and instruct them to check our website and FB for future updates.

Staffing:

We are planning to have limited staff in the 24,000 sq ft building to support this process while maintaining safe distancing.  At this time the plan is to have 3 Circulation Assistants, 2 Reference Librarians, and at least one full time staff as back up support. Reference librarians will be working at the Youth Services and Adult Services desk, one Circ Assistant will be at the front desk, one Circ Assistant at the back computer by delivery, and one Circ Assistant will be working as the runner to put items on carts outside for patron pick up.

Safety:

Staff will be required to wear masks and gloves, and should maintain the required social distancing of 6 feet or more.  If staff feel ill or have a fever, they should contact their supervisor and not come in.

Step by Step Procedures:

Our Leadership Team put together detailed procedures for staff working during Curbside Pickup.  We anticipate these procedures will be reviewed with onsite staff and updated regularly. Since some listservs drop attachments, I have saved our docs to a google to share.

Curbside Pickup Procedure - Initial Working Draft

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QOr__kwia_lg5h-YOLTxu-_bHdlZAHOd/view?usp=sharing><https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jdD0TsHtrjqQPFU0v_aAV_0HbdEG0wfs/view?usp=sharing>https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jdD0TsHtrjqQPFU0v_aAV_0HbdEG0wfs/view?usp=sharing

Curbside Pickup Appointment Worksheet

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QOr__kwia_lg5h-YOLTxu-_bHdlZAHOd/view?usp=sharing

As always: copy, past, and use whatever you want as you develop your own procedures. Also, from having a zoom meeting with over a dozen library directors today I can attest that we are all doing it differently. Figure out what works best for your location, staff, and community. I offer this just to help people think about things. Saying to yourself, "Well that wouldn't work for us!," helps bc it narrows the list for you. And feel free to email me questions, they help keep me busy and to learn from you.

Best of luck friends. I hope you and your loved ones are safe and well.

Sincerely,

Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed

Library Director

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources.

*Please be advised electronic mail becomes a "public record" as allowed under public record laws when sent or received as part of normal business processes.