[Michlib-l] NYTimes Online - how are you handling the change in terms of service?

Kelli Perkins kperkins at herrickdl.org
Mon Apr 27 16:19:17 EDT 2020

We are wondering how libraries who subscribe to New York Times Online are handling the new terms of service they have just handed down and requiring libraries to sign before renewing.

>From what we read, we will be required to ensure that patrons accessing it are: age 18 or over or age 13-17 with parent/guardian permission. We must restrict patrons under 13 and we must obtain parental permission for those under 18.

The only thing we could possibly do is upgrade our proxy service and limit the service to age 18 and up. Getting parental permissions does not seem like an option to me. There is significant expense involved to upgrade our proxy.

Did everyone receive this notification and what are your plans for this service? We get a few hundred session uses each month and I hate to have to scrap it. It's very popular and great content.

Tia.

Kelli Perkins
Collection & Digital Resources Manager
Herrick District Library