[Michlib-l] Staff Furloughs and Layoffs during Mandatory Closure

Stanczak, Cindy cstanczak at albionlibrary.org
Tue Apr 28 12:33:06 EDT 2020

We furloughed our three casual employees - one 4 hr/wk circulation
assistant and two test proctors.  Casual employees are not paid for work
not performed, even in cases of power outage or weather closures.  I issued
them paperwork to confirm that they were furloughed so that they could
potential seek unemployment insurance.

Right now, lay offs and furloughs are not being considered for regular PT
and FT staff.

We haven't made any budget adjustments yet, as we run Jan-Dec, but there
will be some amendments in July looking at the first six months of the
year.  We'll see a decrease in gas and electric, as well as some vendor
services, likely a decrease in physical collection development and
programming, and an increase in legal fees as we seek legal counsel on all
the COVID-19 related policy and personnel issues.

We are a Class III public library in a rural community.

Best wishes with your research!

Cynthia Stanczak, MLS
Library Director
Albion District Library
501 S. Superior St.
Albion, MI  49224
(517) 629-3993

Albion District Library: Transforming Minds, Changing Lives.
Proudly serving our community since 1919.
Online at www.albionlibrary.org, or find us on Facebook!

*My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obligated
to reply to this email outside of your normal working hours.*