[Michlib-l] Intern at the Southfield Public Library

Kelly Rembert krembert at southfieldlibrary.org
Fri Aug 14 16:10:16 EDT 2020

The Southfield Library is seeking Interns.

LIBRARY INTERNSHIP
Southfield Public Library
2-year position
30-40 hours/week

The Southfield Public Library
( https://southfieldlibrary.org/)  is centrally located in the Detroit
Metropolitan area.  Serving a daytime population of 175,000, our
fast-paced library is the hub of the business and residential community.
 Newly built in 2003, our 100,000 square foot library has an esteemed
reputation for excellent public service, along with a core collection of
print and digital resources. The Library’s guiding mission is “We help
people succeed.”  Our experienced librarians are top-notch professionals
who assist patrons with their information needs.

POSITION AND DUTIES
Interns are an integral part of the Southfield Public Library’s
operations.  Internships are available in Adult Services, Youth
Services, Technology, and Community Outreach divisions.  During an
internship, you will gain experience working on public service desks,
providing reference and reader’s advisory service.  You will assist
patrons with their mobile devices and show them how to use our digital
collections.  Programming experience will be gained by assisting
librarians with library programs and teaching classes to the public.
You will learn collection development by being responsible for assigned
collections.  You will have an opportunity to create and maintain book
displays.  The overall goal of the library internships is to provide
students with real life library experience and guidance while working
alongside professional librarians.

QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s Degree
Current enrollment in a Master’s degree program in Library and
Information Science at the time of hire

DESIRED SKILLS MAY INCLUDE
Customer service experience
Experience working with children
Web design experience
Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite

SALARY AND BENEFITS
$11.00/hour first year ; $12.00/hour second year
Vacation, sick, personal business leave and paid holidays
Heath insurance
Tuition reimbursement allowance
Incentive bonus upon completion of the 2-year position

HOURS AND PLACEMENT
30-40 hours per week, including day, evening and weekend hours
Internships offered in multiple departments:  Adult Services, Youth
Services, Technology, and Community Outreach

DEADLINE:   Until filled

TO APPLY:  Send cover letter, resume and City of Southfield Application
for Employment
(
https://www.cityofsouthfield.com/sites/default/files/inline-files/generalapplication-fillable.pdf)
 to Mary Beall, Deputy City Librarian, Southfield Public Library, 26300
Evergreen Road, Southfield, MI 48076 mbeall at southfieldlibrary.org

Kelly Ireland Rembert
Outreach Librarian
Southfield Public Library