[Michlib-l] Yoga as an Act of Self-care for Librarians

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Thu Dec 10 09:11:40 EST 2020

A free webinar from NNLM...

Yoga as an Act of Self-care for Librarians
Yoga is both a movement-based and breath-based practice. While many people in America practice it, it has historically served those who are wealthy, white, and non-disabled and been sold as part of the "wellness" movement and "self-care" movements. This session will start with a brief chair yoga session, then follow with a very brief history of yoga and yoga programs at libraries and how it is currently being researched as an intervention in the biomedical and psychological fields. We will discuss how yoga is being practiced and made more accessible during the COVID-19 pandemic. The discussion will include the origins of the term "self-care" and its radical feminist context. We will center the discussion around self-care for librarians based on findings from a survey conducted in fall 2020. We will also include how you can personally participate in free yoga classes, how to incorporate and make accessible a yoga program at your library, and the beginnings of a yoga outreach program at Texas Tech University Library.
Speaker
Erin Burns received her MLIS from Kent State University in 2007. They worked as a librarian for twelve years at Penn State before starting at Texas Tech in July of 2020 as a STEM librarian serving the Whitacre College of Engineering as their personal librarian. She has many different research interests, including mental health and academic ablism, digital humanities, and critical librarianship. She is a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200), and you can find her walking or hiking when she is not knitting, creating yarn art, or standing in tree pose.
Jan 7, 2021
1:00PM - 2:00PM CT
Register here<https://nnlm.gov/class/yoga-self-care-librarians/29388>

Note
Due to high demand, NNLM will accept up to 750 registrations for this event, but only the first 500 viewers will be able to attend live. The webinar room will open about 15 minutes before the start of the event, and we recommend you arrive early. Everyone who registers, including the "waitlist," will receive an email with a link to the recording and any resources within two weeks following the webinar.

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.