[Michlib-l] Job Posting: Circulation Department Head, Belleville Area District Library

Hilary Savage hsavage at belleville.lib.mi.us
Fri Dec 11 14:49:05 EST 2020

JOB POSTING

Circulation Department Head – Full-Time

Deadline: Monday, December 28, 2020

Our long-time Circulation Department Head is retiring, and we are looking for a dynamic, motivated individual to take her place.

The Belleville Area District Library serves a diverse population of 42,000 people in Belleville, Van Buren Township, and Sumpter Township, and is a member of The Library Network’s Shared Automated System. This past year saw us move into a new, two-story library in downtown Belleville in the midst of a vibrant and active community as well as open a satellite media center conveniently located in Sumpter Township. It is an exciting time for our organization as we grow to fill our new space and work to improve our services.

Our staff is highly collaborative and endeavors to provide the public with superior customer service. The Circulation Department Head directs the daily circulation operations for the library, and sets the tone for patron service for the circulation department. As the first point of contact with members of our community, this department is essential to providing a welcoming atmosphere and guiding patrons to all that the library has to offer.

Hours: 40 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends

Pay Range: $50,000 - $66,000 per year

Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision plans; MERS Defined Contribution Retirement Plan; vacation, sick, and holiday time; professional development opportunities

Responsibilities:

· Hires, trains, supervises, mentors, and inspires the circulation staff. Duties include:

    * o Customer service training
    * o Scheduling/timesheet approval
    * o Conducting performance reviews
    * o Establishing procedures to improve staff and patron experiences

· Provides exceptional customer service:

    * o Ensures that materials are accurately checked in and shelved in a timely manner
    * o Skillfully resolves patron account questions
    * o Interprets circulation policies and provides input into new policies
    * o Provides general library information including updates on hours, closures, policy changes

· Collaborates with:

    * o The library’s management team (director, assistant director, department heads)
    * o Shared automation system users’ group
    * o The library’s technology manager
    * o Facilities staff

· Oversees:

    * o The Automated Materials Handling System
    * o All cash-handling procedures
    * o The first-floor public copy/fax machines and self-check machines
    * o Lobby environment, including maintenance of information displays, charitable collections, etc.
    * o Special circulation programs such as curbside pickup and Books on Wheels

· Department Heads are in charge of the library and staff in the absence of the director and assistant director

· Other duties as assigned

Qualifications:

· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required; Interested librarians must possess a Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited program

· Supervisory experience desired

· Must have a strong public service orientation

· Demonstrates discretion in handling confidential information

· Friendly, patient, tactful, and adaptable

· Enthusiastic, creative, and self-motivated

· Must demonstrate effective communication skills and an ability and willingness to work collaboratively

· Good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to analyze information

· Strong computer and technology skills, including experience with Microsoft Office, Google Drive applications, and integrated library systems

· Knowledge of TLC CARL automation system desired

· Able to perform basic troubleshooting of printers, copiers, fax machines, and other library equipment

· Familiar with digital services available to library users

· Comfortable instructing others in both group and one-on-one settings

· Must be able to stoop, bend, reach, walk, stand, and lift up to 20 pounds

To Apply: Application can be found at [ http://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ | www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ ]

Submit cover letter, resume, and Belleville Area District Library employment application to Hilary Savage, Assistant Director, at [ mailto:hsavage at belleville.lib.mi.us. | hsavage at belleville.lib.mi.us.  ]