[Michlib-l] Free Webinar: Civil Legal Justice: The Crucial Role of Libraries

Atkin, Evette (MDE) AtkinE at michigan.gov
Fri Feb 7 11:37:02 EST 2020

Civil Legal Justice: The Crucial Role of Libraries<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/civil-legal-justice-the-crucial-role-of-libraries.html>
When: February 11 @ 3:00PM Eastern
Cost: Free

In this webinar, learn about the ways public libraries can address the justice gap, connecting people with information as they navigate the complexities of the legal system.

The lofty U.S. ideal of "justice for all" fails the equity test because many people, especially our nation's poorest individuals, fall into the "justice gap"-the divide between the civil legal needs of low-income people and the resources to meet those needs. Many of your community members who instinctively turn to the library for help with crises in their lives might be on the verge of falling into this gap. Though legal issues can be intimidating for library staff, public libraries are well positioned to help reduce the justice gap. Join us to learn about the status of civil legal justice in our system and about the vital role you can play in connecting people with information and supporting them as they navigate the complexities of the legal system. Law librarian Catherine McGuire, who has conducted extensive trainings with public libraries, will share insights into interacting with patrons who approach the library with civil legal needs. With a basic understanding of the civil legal justice landscape, we hope you will be motivated to plunge deeper into helping close the justice gap by taking the live, multi-week online course to be offered in April.

Presented by: Catherine McGuire, Head of Reference and Outreach, Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, Maryland; Luis Interiano, Reference Librarian, West Baton Rouge Library, Port Allen, Louisiana; and Betha Gutsche, WebJunction Programs Manager, OCLC

Evette M. Atkin
Continuing Education Consultant
Library of Michigan
atkine at michigan.gov<mailto:atkine at michigan.gov>

These programs are supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).