[Michlib-l] Attn Directors: Policies (bylaws) addressing trustee excused absences, remote voting

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Thu Jan 2 11:57:10 EST 2020

Hello Donna,

Thank you for this discussion, as my library is dealing with some similar issues. Our current bylaws set the meetings rules rather than a policy per se. I am currently considering asking my Board to update the Bylaws to address remote voting and to give a set number of absences whether excused or unexcused.

1. Is there a limited number of excused absences allowed?

Current Bylaws relating to attendance

Article II - BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Section 4. Meeting Attendance.  Members shall be expected to attend all meetings except as they are prevented by a valid reason.

Here is a chart I created in December to quantify the problem of absences. We have 1 member who missed 4 of the 12 meetings which has caused some issues bc that member is then not up to date on discussions. In the past when we had a member miss 3 or more meetings in a year, then the Board President had a discussion with them about whether their other life commitments are getting in the way of their commitment to the library board and whether: 1) they can recommit to attending meetings regularly; or 2) they would like to step-down. We have had people step-down mid-term and others who stick it out till their 3 year term is up.

Fyi, our Board members turnover in May, so you see the old #3 attended Jan-Apr and the new #3 attended May-Dec. Whereas Old #4 completely quit attending and it took us 3 months to replace with New #4. Currently Old #7 left and needs to be appointed by an outside entity so we are going on a 4th month without that rep. We have 7 members and have been operating with 5-6 at various points which makes it harder to get a quorum of 4.

Also, I have found the inclusion of "valid reason" with no definition = any reason.

Board Member #

Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

# Attended...

of how many mtgs

Missed

% Attendance

1

no

no

no

no

7

11

4

64%

2

no

no

9

11

2

82%

3 - new

no

6

7

1

86%

3 - old

no

3

4

1

75%

4-new

no

7

8

1

88%

5

no

10

11

1

91%

6

11

11

0

100%

7 - new - tbd

7 - old

8

8

0

100%

5

5

6

6

7

6

7

0

5

4

5

5

2. When the trustee attends remotely, is the roll call vote valid?

Currently we do not allow remote attendance or voting, but I would like to consider it when we update our bylaws since it is more "usual" these days for committees. But perhaps add in a number of allowed remote meetings per person, on an emergency basis, so we don't end up with someone calling in 6x/yr.

Current Bylaws relating to quorum and voting

Article IV - MEETINGS

Section 6. Quorum. A quorum for the transaction of business at any meeting shall consist of four (4) members of the Board present in person.

Article X - GENERAL

Section 1. An affirmative vote of the majority of all members of the Board present at the time shall be necessary to approve any action before the Board.

Sincerely,

Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed

Library Director

N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org

414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library

5420 North Marlborough Drive

Whitefish Bay, WI 53217

414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission

The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources.

*Please be advised electronic mail becomes a "public record" as allowed under public record laws when sent or received as part of normal business processes.