[Michlib-l] SRLC 2020 Awards

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Mon Jan 6 07:55:37 EST 2020

We're just 10 business days from the deadline for SRLC Awards nominations. It's normal for most of the packets to come in at the last minute and I encourage you to get them finished up and pop them in the mail/email to me so you don't get to the last day and find an obstacle. This is my third go on the awards committee and let me assure you, it's thrilling for the winners. Even the shyest library workers are pleased with a plaque and well-earned appreciation.

We all enjoy the feeling of being recognized by our peers for a job well done. This is your opportunity to put together a nomination packet for one of four awards being given at the Small and Rural Libraries Conference in Traverse City, April 13-15, 2020.

Please consider who you know that meets the quality of excellence in the profession. Do you know someone at a small or rural library who is a leader in our profession?  Do you have a Trustee or Friend who goes above and beyond the call of duty to promote and advance your library? Do you know a small or rural library that truly excels? We want to hear from you! Self-nominations are accepted for the Mendel award that goes to a library and it includes a cash prize of $1,000!

Nominations are due by Friday, January 17, 2020 to norriss2 at michigan.gov or by post to Sonya Schryer Norris, Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St., Lansing, MI 48909.

There will be four awards in 2020. The categories are:
*        Outstanding Small/Rural Librarian Award
*        Trustee/Friend Award
*        Patron Service Award (includes children's services)
*        The June B. Mendel Award for Excellence in Rural Library Service (this award goes to a small/rural library)

CRITERIA

Criteria 1: Nomination packet (1-5 points): Does the nomination packet contain letters of support from appropriate individuals such as respected community members, respected members of the library community, library patrons, library friends and library board members concerning the person or library's accomplishments? A typical nomination packet is 5-10 pages.

Criteria 2: Unique accomplishments (1-10 points): Does the nomination packet contain examples of accomplishments that make this person or library stand out from the other nominations? What's unique for a small or rural library might be within normal operations for a mid or large library.

Criteria 3: Quality of accomplishments (1-10 points): Does the person or library exemplify the best in current library practices? Are they doing more than old-fashioned or routine library service and truly striving for excellence as identified by modern-day best practices including but not limited to activities such as community engagement, diversity of collections & programming, and progressive policies?

Please note that Library Cooperative staff and conference planning committee chairs are not eligible for conference awards. To qualify for the award the library must serve a population of 25,000 or less. Branch locations of larger libraries do not qualify for nomination. The nomination may come from another library, a library user, a community business or organization, or a library cooperative. Self-nominations are also accepted!

The award nomination form can be found at this link: Award Nomination Form<https://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/lm_2019_RLC_CallForAwardNominations2020_664719_7.pdf>.

Sonya Schryer Norris
Library Consultant
Library of Michigan
Michigan Department of Education
517-335-1498
Norriss2 at michigan.gov<mailto:Norriss2 at michigan.gov>

https://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan
https://mel.org<https://mel.org/>
http://michlibrary.org<http://michlibrary.org/>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D579DC.B445FFB0]
Family Matters is an outreach effort to equip families of children with disabilities by offering free information and resources.
Visit Family Matters<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.michigan.gov%2Fmde%2F0%2C4615%2C7-140-6598_88187_81739---%2C00.html&data=02%7C01%7CNorrisS2%40michigan.gov%7C6b2f721525734743bc6608d748155e89%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C637057128952076126&sdata=PUyLOQPeJvza%2FYd6hyPBIhfJTvjB%2B8kdaBWaWTtsKm8%3D&reserved=0>, call OSE Information Line at 888-320-8384 or Email: mde-ose at michigan.gov<mailto:mde-ose at michigan.gov>.