[Michlib-l] Wireless printing responses

Margaret Bentley margaret.bentley at sdl.lib.mi.us
Thu Jan 23 16:45:55 EST 2020

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about wireless
printing.  A summary of the responses  follows:

WIRELESS PRINTING RESPONSES

*VENDOR*

*LIBRARY*

*OTHER COMMENTS*

Princh

Caro District Library

https://princh.com/

Princh

St Charles DL

Princh

Lapeer District Library

https://princh.com/library-printing-solution/#.Xii_FchKiUk

Princh

Ruth Hughes

It can be used as an app version on phones/tablets, or a web version on
laptops/desktops. Our IT technician worked with Princh to connect it with
our main printer, and patrons can send jobs at any time, which then sit in
a queue at a staff computer or circulation computer until a member of staff
release it.

We have signs posted all over the building with the 'printer ID' and QR
code and basic instructions, so patrons can use it on their own, and it is
fairly straightforward once you download and open the app. I believe it can
be set up with cards (I assume debit/credit) but we have it set to only be
paid by cash (or check if it came to that) upon release at our front desk,
like the rest of our prints/copies.

In my experience it is easy to use and reliable-the only tricky bit is we
seem to have some difficulty printing certain types of documents such as
bank statements or legal forms, which we assume has something to do with
encryption and compatibility. We are looking into that.

Envisionware

CADL

supposed to be able to just attach the document to an email, send it to a
provided address that differs depending on branch location and b/w or
color, and then use the email they sent it from in place of their library
card number, which is normally what the print jobs are tied to. So in
theory, pretty easy. In practice, it’s very unreliable. Sometimes it works
like a charm. Other times it doesn’t show for 10-15 minutes. Still other
times it snags somewhere in the process that only IT could see and address
and basically never arrive.

Envisionware

Ferndale Area DL

Print e-mail

Loutit

Patrons are able to forward their prints to that email, and we print it for
them.

mConsole

Bad Axe

patrons can search for the associated printer in their phones and send to
print.

mConsole

Ionia Community

mConsole (Library Gear)

White Lake

We have "Library Gear" from mConsole in Sanilac as our public internet time
management and print management service, and they set it up so anyone
connected to our wifi can send a job to the printer.  It still goes through
the print management software, so they have to come to the desk to pay for
it before we release it to the printer.

Canon App

Hudson Carnegie

Patrons download app

Library’s wi-fi

Wakefield

1)Connect their phone to the library wi-fi

2)Open the label or document they want to print (usually but not always an
attachment to an email. Some people print pictures from their phone)

3)Select the appropriate printer on the list of available printers and hit
print

ePrintit

Jonesville DL

It works as a cloud portal.  We have it set up where patrons can go to our
website and drop-and-drag their document to the portal and send it to us
(this can be done on a laptop in the library or from their home computers)
OR they can forward the item to be printed from an email to our portal
(mainly for cell phones).  Then, we open our portal, click the print button
and the item to be printed is pulled from the cloud and sent to our printer.

Library public computers

T.A. Cutler Memorial

we just encourage our patrons to sign on to a public access computer and
print directly from there

Printer On

Chesterfield Twp.

Printer On

Charlevoix Public

[App] The print job is sent wirelessly to the printer, then retrieved at
the print station. Patrons can also print from home using it.

Printer On

Grosse Pointe

We use a service called Printer On. It is quite intuitive, and hasn’t
required a lot of staff assistance. We are lucky enough to have an IT
person who set it all up. Here is a link to their site:
https://www.printeron.com/mobile-printing.html

HP Printer app

Saranac Public

 set up on your public wifi, patrons can download the HP Smart app and
print.  This app is super easy to use if you have an iphone and not easy to
use if you have an android!

Margaret Bentley
Adult Services Librarian
Shiawassee District Library--Owosso