[Michlib-l] PBS Books Update and Upcoming Screening: THE GENE

Shannon White - Library of Michigan whites29 at michigan.gov
Fri Jan 24 11:44:00 EST 2020

In the fall, more than 100 libraries shared the screening of COUNTRY MUSIC: A Film By Ken Burns with their communities in collaboration with PBS Books, WETA, and their local PBS station. PBS Books received more than 225 surveys with feedback from library partners and event participants.  I'd like to share a few takeaways as you contemplate sharing some other PBS Books Screening offerings:

  *   More than 90% of libraries would recommend the partnership/screening to a colleague.
  *   More than 90% of libraries reported that they believed that the screening content was Very Good or Excellent.
  *   More than 95% of libraries stating that they were interested in continuing/growing a partnership with their local PBS station and hosting another screening.
  *   Nearly 90% of attendees said that they would participate in future events hosted by their library in partnership with their PBS station.
As a former library director, I know the value of being able to share quality educational content that sparks community conversation.  If you are interested in having a conversation about gentrification in your library community and missed the deadline for the East Lake Meadow screening, then please email me directly.  Otherwise, I wanted to remind you that the screening application deadline for THE GENE is rapidly approaching: February 1. (Nearly 50% of attendees to COUNTRY MUSIC screenings said that they were Ken Burns fans! You have a built-in audience for this one.)

KEN BURNS PRESENTS THE GENE: AN INTIMATE HISTORY

APPLICATION DEADLINE IS February 1, 2020.

Screenings may be held between March 1 and May 31, 2020 (adjusted from earlier announcements due to production delays)

The film will premiere on PBS on April 7 and April 14, 2020.

An approximately 30-minute screening reel was exclusively designed for community engagement events

KEN BURNS PRESENTS THE GENE: AN INTIMATE HISTORY

APPLICATION DEADLINE IS February 1, 2020.

Screenings may be held between March 1 and May 31, 2020 (adjusted from earlier announcements due to production delays)

The film will premiere on PBS on April 7 and April 14, 2020.

An approximately 30-minute screening reel was exclusively designed for community engagement events

KEN BURNS PRESENTS THE GENE: AN INTIMATE HISTORY is a two-part, four-hour limited series developed with Ken Burns, Barak Goodman and Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of the book upon which the documentary is based.  https://www.pbs.org/show/gene/

The series uses science, social history, and personal stories to weave together a historical biography of the human genome while also exploring the stunning breakthroughs in understanding the impact genes play on heredity, disease, and behavior. The documentary is a journey through key genetics discoveries that are some of the greatest achievements in the history of science.

If you are interested in sharing the screening with your community, please complete the application here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfhWeIdS8dS75WsyFsG6vp-8qUk9IvAha8DmX1Z_1NKgSI1CQ/viewform

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions, we look forward to partnering with you soon.

Best,

Heather-Marie Montilla
--
Heather-Marie Montilla