[Michlib-l] One Seed, One State

Pam Quackenbush pquackenbush at lyon.lib.mi.us
Mon Jan 27 20:01:23 EST 2020

Michigan Seed Libraries is happy to announce our first annual “One Seed, One State” initiative. This project was conceived at the Seed Library Summit held last October as a way to encourage visits to existing seed libraries and to give libraries that don’t have seed libraries a chance to participate as well. Each library that registers will receive a kit with seeds and promotional materials. We have chosen ‘Provider’ Green Bean as our first variety since it is nearly foolproof in Michigan gardens as long as basic instructions are followed. For more information on what you will receive in your kit and a link to registration please visit our website: [ https://miseedlibrary.org/one-seed-one-state/ | https://miseedlibrary.org/one-seed-one-state/ ]

Please understand that our group has no funding as of yet, so this project is happening with donated seeds and scavenged materials. Even our seed packets were created from pages from discarded library books! The rest is a group effort from several creative and willing volunteers. Our vision for the future is to put a seed kit into every Michigan library, every year.

We are going to have two distribution points where kits can be picked up. The first will be the Central Michigan Seed Swap on Sunday, February 23 at the Chippewa Nature Center in Midland . [ https://www.smallhousefarm.com/seedswap/ | https://www.smallhousefarm.com/seedswap/ ]

The second will be the 2020 Loleta Fyan Small and Rural Libraries Conference at the Grand Traverse Resort, April 13-April 15, 2020. I will be giving a presentation on “One Seed, One State” at the conference and will deliver kits afterward.

On the registration form you will have an opportunity to let us know if you will be at either of these events so we can plan accordingly. If you cannot make either of these events maybe someone from a neighboring library will be attending. We will do our best to help you make connections if needed. Volunteers will make an attempt to deliver any kits that aren’t picked up at these events through library delivery or some other means. We have no budget for postage, so hopefully we can be creative and work together to get them all distributed.

We hope you will consider participating in our inaugural effort and help us in our mission to get Michigan growing!

Pam Quackenbush
Library Technician
Lyon Township Public Library
27005 Milford Road