[Michlib-l] Community input needed: Justice For All Town Hall Meetings 2/14 and 2/24

Koscielniak, Kimberly (MDE) KoscielniakK at michigan.gov
Thu Jan 30 11:09:23 EST 2020

  *   Did you know that in three out of four civil legal cases, at least one party represents themselves in court because they can't afford an attorney?

  *   Did you know that the right to a lawyer only applies in criminal cases, not civil cases?

Good morning:

The Michigan Justice for All (JFA) Task Force is committed to creating a civil justice system that 100% of people can access. With input from stakeholders across Michigan, the Task Force will first inventory the civil justice landscape, identify gaps and barriers to access, and then develop and implement a comprehensive approach to fill gaps and eliminate barriers. We're hoping to get input from community organizations, librarians, and the public about problems people face trying to deal with family law issues, eviction, debt collection, small claims, guardianship, and other civil legal problems - essentially, everything other than criminal law problems.

I'm delighted to share with you that the JFA Task Force is hosting two Town Hall meetings hosted by Chief Justice Bridget McCormack and Justice Brian Zahra in February.  The first town hall meeting is in Grand Rapids on 2/14 from 10 am - 12 pm, and the second meeting is in Detroit on 2/24 from 6 - 8 pm. Details are in the attached flyer.

The purpose of these meetings is to inform and engage members of the public, community service partners, and elected officials in the work of the JFA Task Force. We need your help to spread the word about these meetings to stakeholders, especially members of the public, whose voice we need to hear.

Please share widely the attached flyer, particularly with patrons and social service agencies in your area and anyone else you work with who may be interested.

Please also join us if you are able - we hope to have full rooms and robust discussion!

Thank you,
Kim Koscielniak

Contracts, criminal law, and constitutional issues! Explore Michigan's circulating law collection through the Library of Michigan ANSWER<http://www.answercat.org/> catalog and MeLCat<https://mel.org/welcome>.

State Law Library and Library of Michigan
Michigan Library and Historical Center
702 W. Kalamazoo
Lansing, MI 48909
lmlawlib at michigan.gov<mailto:lmlawlib at michigan.gov>