[Michlib-l] Program Recommendation: Robert W. Fieseler, author of "Tinderbox: The Untold Story of the Up Stairs Lounge Fire and the Rise of Gay Liberation"

Maria Williams maria.williams at baldwinlib.org
Tue Jun 9 20:23:55 EDT 2020

Dear Michlib-

If you are seeking an author for a virtual event I'd like to recommend
Robert W. Fieseler, acclaimed debut author of the book *Tinderbox: The
Untold Story of the Up Stairs Lounge Fire and the Rise of Gay Liberation
<https://wwnorton.com/books/9781631491641>*. The book tells the story of
the 1973 arson fire at the Up Stairs Lounge in New Orleans that was the
largest mass murder of queer people in American history prior to the 2016
Pulse nightclub shooting. It won the 2019 Edgar Award for Best Fact Crime
as well as Lambda Literary's Judith A. Markowitz Award for Emerging LGBTQ
Writers. ALA named it a Stonewall Honor Book in Nonfiction.

Mr. Fieseler was lovely to work with and was an engaging, knowledgeable
speaker. Our event with him was through the library's Instagram page, but
he is amenable to other virtual platforms.

We paid his honorarium with money donated from an endowment fund.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions, or you may contact
him directly by email at wordbobby at gmail.com.

I wish you all good luck and strength of spirit as you prepare your
libraries to reopen to patrons in the coming weeks!

Warm regards,

M.

Maria Williams, MLIS
Head of Adult Services