[Michlib-l] Upcoming event at LTPL- Genealogy Presentation next week!

Katie Rothley krothley at lyon.lib.mi.us
Fri Jun 12 11:34:32 EDT 2020

Dear Michlib-L,

Please join us for our first virtual genealogy event, next week, Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Our presenter, Judy Nimer Muhn, will be presenting "Native, First Nation, Indian: Researching Indigenous Peoples".

Please find the event description below.

"The first residents of North America primarily kept records through oral histories, multi-generational sharing of histories through storytelling and family relationships and intermarriages. While there are hundreds of federally-recognized tribes, there are also broad, general areas that can direct aspects of research. Knowing the geographic location of ancestral families can help to identify tribal connections. From knowing these potential tribal connections, specific record groups such as special Indian censuses, enrollment lists and tribal membership information can be utilized. As some Indians also held land, converted to Christianity, and had business relationships, other records can be helpful in placing these families in time and location.

While these families can be research challenges, as oral history and stories are foundational and there are often limited records, learning about tribal customs and naming patterns, lifestyles and movements, can help to locate fur trade, farming, military and other records that can help in locating family groups. Beginners will learn how to discern whether the family myth about a Native ancestor may be real and where to look, while more advanced beginners and intermediate researchers can begin to discover how to locate records unique to certain tribal membership requirements or resources. Learn how to use geography, tribal resources, historic records."

To attend, please register here: [ https://lyon-lib.libcal.com/event/5608025?hs=a | https://lyon-lib.libcal.com/event/5608025?hs=a ]

A zoom link will be emailed to you once you have registered.

Hope you can join us! And if you wouldn't mind sharing this with your communities, we would appreciate it (it's also an event on our Facebook page).

Thank you kindly.

Sincerely,

Cathy Cottone, Genealogist
and
Katie Rothley, Marketing & Outreach Librarian

Lyon Township Public Library
27005 S. Milford Rd.,
South Lyon, MI 48178
https://www.lyon.lib.mi.us/