[Michlib-l] ALA News: ALA statement condemning police violence against BIPOC, protesters and journalists

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Tue Jun 16 21:13:43 EDT 2020

ALA statement condemning police violence against BIPOC, protesters and journalists<https://bit.ly/2YAEiac>

The American Library Association is deeply saddened by the death of George Floyd at the hands of the Minneapolis Police Department, as well as the killings by police or vigilantes of Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Ahmaud Arbery, and far too many others. We are in solidarity with the statements of BCALA and APALA, and affirm our earlier statement condemning violence and racism towards Black people, Indigenous people and all people of color.

We recognize “that institutionalized inequities based on race are embedded into our society and are reinforced through social institutions,” and we condemn the systemic racism and violence that Black, Indigenous, and People of Color experience on a daily basis in our inequitable society.

We also condemn the violence that protesters and journalists across the country are facing while exercising their First Amendment rights. The former raise their voices to demand justice; the latter seek to document and share history as it is being made. Both have been subject to gratuitous attacks from police. The First Amendment promises freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the right to assemble, and the right to petition the government, all of which are essential freedoms of our democracy and vital components of intellectual freedom. Read more<https://bit.ly/2YAEiac>

ABC News places spotlight on libraries’ response to COVID-19<https://bit.ly/3fsbgjO>

Public Library Association (PLA) President Ramiro Salazar appeared as a guest on "Pandemic: What You Need to Know," a new ABC Network program temporarily replacing the third hour of Good Morning America. This national news segment focused on how libraries are responding to challenges fueled by COVID-19, detailed in findings from Libraries Respond: COVID-19 Survey, a comprehensive survey of academic, public, and school libraries.

The Survey documents a shift in services to support students, faculty, and communities at large during the pandemic and phased preparations for the months ahead. While virtually all libraries (99%) report limited access to the physical buildings, survey respondents reported leaps in the use of digital content, online learning, and virtual programs. More than 3,800 K-12 school, college and university, public and other libraries from all 50 states responded to the survey between May 12-18. Read more<https://bit.ly/3fsbgjO>

Author and activist Stacey Abrams ALA President’s Program speaker at ALA Virtual<https://bit.ly/37zQSup>

Author and activist Stacey Abrams will join ALA Virtual as the ALA President’s Program speaker. Abrams is the New York Times bestselling author of “Lead from the Outside,” a serial entrepreneur, nonprofit CEO, and political leader. After serving 11 years in the Georgia House of Representatives, seven as minority leader, Abrams became the 2018 Democratic nominee for governor of Georgia, where she won more votes than any other Democrat in the state’s history. This session will take place on Thursday, June 25, 2020, 12 -1 p.m., CT. Read more<https://bit.ly/37zQSup>

ALA book award winners featured in exciting virtual celebration<https://bit.ly/2UOOdba>

The American Library Association (ALA) is offering an exciting new 11 hour virtual event celebrating the winners of several of its major book awards, including the esteemed Newbery and Caldecott medals, the Coretta Scott King Book Awards, the Printz Award, and the Stonewall youth and adult Book Awards.

Beginning at 9 a.m. on Sunday, June 28, 2020, over ALA’s YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/AmLibraryAssociation, The ALA Book Award Celebration, will serve as an opportunity for the association to showcase its book award celebrations that traditionally take place during the ALA Annual Conference. This is a free event that highlights several youth and adult selections administered by ALA units, division, and round tables. Participation does not require registration. Read more<https://bit.ly/2UOOdba>

AWARDS AND GRANTS

Gerber/Hart Library awarded the 2020 Rainbow RT Newlen-Symons Award for Excellence<https://bit.ly/3frTBJ9>

Donna Braquet awarded the 2020 Rainbow Round Table Award for Political Activism<https://bit.ly/2MZUe0m>

Michael Carroll awarded 2020 LITA/Christian Larew Memorial Scholarship<https://bit.ly/37A1sBt>

Freedom to Read Foundation announces recipients of Fall 2020 Judith F. Krug Education Fund scholarships<https://bit.ly/3eaOlcz>

ALA PUBLISHING

No-nonsense guidance on research support and scholarly communication<https://bit.ly/2UPTpeS>

Open access digital scholarship in action<https://bit.ly/2AwP8pP>

Ready-to-use gaming programs for libraries<https://bit.ly/3hCFm5Z>

WEBINARS

Free LLAMA webinar explores sustainability in the era of Covid-19<https://bit.ly/2BejAF0>

IFC, United for Libraries host free webinar on vendor negotiation that supports privacy, intellectual freedom<https://bit.ly/2Y4Uu4m>

Jennifer L. Dean - PhD, MLIS - she, her, hers
MLA Board of Directors & ALA Councilor

Dean of Libraries and Instructional Technology
University of Detroit Mercy
deanjl at udmercy.edu

Sent using Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>