[Michlib-l] SRLC Presents: Binding Glue: Trauma, Resilience, and the Small Town Library -Patrick Lloyd

Atkin, Evette (MDE) AtkinE at michigan.gov
Fri Jun 26 08:39:50 EDT 2020

Greetings!

There's still time to register for this free webinar.

The Library of Michigan (LM) is excited to announce a new continuing education opportunity. LM's new webinar series, SRLC Presents brings to you select sessions from the cancelled 2020 Loleta Fyan Small & Rural Libraries Conference. Join us Tuesday, July 14 at 2:00 PM for "Binding Glue: Trauma, Resilience, and the Small Town Library," presented by Patrick Lloyd.

Tuesday, July 14 @ 2:00 ET
SRLC Presents: Binding Glue: Trauma, Resilience, and the Small Town Library -Patrick Lloyd<https://libraryofmichigan.z2systems.com/event.jsp?event=311&>
Cost: Free

Increasingly, the answers to our patrons' questions seem to lie outside the walls of our libraries rather than within them. As more and more folks approach our desks with questions regarding basic needs assistance and other social problems, we must begin to consider our work in ways beyond books and typical customer service. We know that libraries can change lives. In smaller communities, libraries can also save lives. This session will highlight the difficulties facing many patrons, how the public library serves to protect them, and ways our institutions can strengthen the resiliency of individuals and communities.

Instructor: Patrick Lloyd, LMSW is the first library social worker in Texas and the only helping professional on City of Georgetown staff. Working within a suburban community, Patrick's work is holistic in nature and includes assessment and referral of patrons with diverse needs, identification of local resource gaps, advocating for expansion of social service capacity within the city, and serving as a liaison between city staff and local nonprofit agencies. He is a member of the PLA Social Work Task Force, created in the fall of 2018. Patrick has presented at ALA, PLA, and Texas Library Association Conferences and at state library-sponsored functions across the country.

This project is made possible by grant funds from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) administered by the State of Michigan through the Library of Michigan.

Evette M. Atkin
Continuing Education Consultant
Library of Michigan
atkine at michigan.gov<mailto:atkine at michigan.gov>