[Michlib-l] ALA News: ALA takes responsibility for past racism, pledges a more equitable association

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Tue Jun 30 18:31:24 EDT 2020

ALA takes responsibility for past racism, pledges a more equitable association<https://bit.ly/2CQ76nO>

The American Library Association (ALA) accepts and acknowledges its role in upholding unjust systems of racism and discrimination against Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) within the association and the profession.

We recognize that the founding of our Association was not built on inclusion and equity, but instead was built on systemic racism and discrimination in many forms. We also recognize the hurt and harm done to BIPOC library workers and communities due to these racist structures.

We commit to our core values, particularly equity, diversity, and inclusion, and will demonstrate this commitment by reassessing and reevaluating our role in continuing to uphold unjust, harmful systems throughout the Association and the profession. We will include ALA members, ALA staff, and the profession in our movement forward, and we are developing a plan toward becoming the inclusive association we aspire to be. Read more<https://bit.ly/2CQ76nO>

ALA Executive Director Tracie D. Hall says dismantling racism in library and information services is overdue<https://bit.ly/38mhUpt>

During the inaugural ALA Virtual Event last week, American Library Association (ALA) Executive Director Tracie D. Hall issued a strong challenge for our nation’s librarians, library professionals and library supporters, calling for support of a workforce that reflects a diverse client base, universal digital access, and a deeper financial commitment to libraries.

Hall outlined a three-pronged platform of priorities for library advocates, including universal broadband, rapid diversification of the library and information services field, and a commitment from local and federal governments and public and private funders to broaden the philanthropic infrastructure of libraries.

Underlying these three priorities, she said, is the guiding principle of justice. Read more<https://bit.ly/38mhUpt>

ALA statement affirming the rights of transgender people<https://bit.ly/3gfhxjm>

The American Library Association (ALA), and particularly its Rainbow Round Table, unequivocally and emphatically stands in solidarity with its transgender staff and members, transgender library workers, transgender library users, transgender authors, and the transgender members of the communities we serve. As an organization committed to social justice, ALA seeks to support all transgender people, and in particular, those who are vulnerable or at risk of discrimination, including supporting the specific needs and perspectives of transgender people who are Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, transgender people in sex work, transgender migrants and asylum seekers, intersex people (who may or may not identify as trans), transgender children and youth, senior transgender people, and transgender people with disabilities. Read more<https://bit.ly/3gfhxjm>

American Libraries’ AL Direct e-newsletter goes weekly starting July 8<https://bit.ly/3iaQ7ga>

Starting July 8, AL Direct, the e-newsletter of American Libraries magazine, will change to a weekly schedule and showcase an updated design. The newsletter, which is currently mailed on Tuesdays and Fridays, will mail every Wednesday. Read more<https://bit.ly/3iaQ7ga>

Libraries Transform Book Pick digital reading program returns Sept. 14-28 with an epic saga<https://bit.ly/31xHqa4>

The Libraries Transform Book Pick will return Sept. 14-28, 2020 with its second ebook selection: Lauren Francis-Sharma’s “Book of the Little Axe,” published by Atlantic Monthly Press, an imprint of Grove Atlantic. During the lending period, ebook copies of “Book of the Little Axe” will be available without waitlists or holds through U.S. public libraries using OverDrive. Readers will only need a library card and the Libby app to borrow and read the ebook.

A collaboration between the American Library Association (ALA) and OverDrive, the Libraries Transform Book Pick is a digital reading program that connects book lovers across the country with simultaneous access to an ebook to foster conversation across communities. Free marketing resources like social media graphics and a template press release will be available later this summer to help libraries promote the program and encourage check outs. A discussion guide and other materials to inspire discussion about the book will also be available.

Ambitious and masterfully wrought, “Book of the Little Axe” is an incredible journey, spanning decades and oceans from Trinidad to the American West during the tumultuous days of warring colonial powers and westward expansion. Read more<https://bit.ly/31xHqa4>

AASL Shares EDI Resources for Educators<https://bit.ly/3ikJBU7>

The American Association of School Librarians (AASL) has released Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) resources created by the 2019-2020 Presidential Initiative Task Force. Advised by AASL President Mary Keeling, the committee, hosted office hours, designed informative bookmarks, and presented a webinar on EDI in the school library. The resources can be found at www.ala.org/aasl/all/EDI<http://www.ala.org/aasl/all/EDI>. Read more<https://bit.ly/3ikJBU7>

Public Library Association launches 2021 health insurance enrollment project<https://bit.ly/2NHZBBN>

Through the third cycle of its health insurance enrollment and education initiative, Libraries Connecting You to Coverage, the Public Library Association (PLA) is offering a series of mini-grants of up to $2,000 to support up to 30 U.S. public libraries to become Certified Application Counselor Designated Organizations (CDOs), which are able to certify staff and volunteers as Certified Application Counselors ahead of the Open Enrollment period of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The application period opens on July 1 and runs through July 17, 2020. Before the Open Enrollment period, which starts November 1 and runs through December 15, 2020, awardees will receive training and support to assist patrons with enrolling in health insurance plans, to disseminate information, and to partner with community health groups to make a positive impact. Read more<https://bit.ly/2NHZBBN>

Member manager sought for YALSA’s blog, The Hub<https://bit.ly/3ihDcct>

The Young Adult Library Services Association seeks a member manager for its collection development and content curation blog, The Hub for 2020-2021 term.

The member manager will serve a one-year term starting Aug. 17, 2020, with an option to renew based on performance. Main responsibilities include leading an advisory board to provide oversight in creating, soliciting, and managing content for the blog. Additionally, the member manager will help manage the selected lists blogging teams and the dissemination of the selected lists, as well as the promotion and technical maintenance of the blog. Read more<https://bit.ly/3ihDcct>

AWARDS AND GRANTS

Recipients of the 2020 David Cohen/EMIERT Multicultural Award announced<https://bit.ly/3if0wrb>

Valeria Estefanía Dávila Gronros receives first deg farrelly Memorial/Alexander Street AMIA/FMRT Media Librarian Scholarship<http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2020/06/valeria-estefan-d-vila-gronros-receives-first-deg-farrelly-memorialalexander>

The Library History Round Table (LHRT) announces the winner of the 2020 Justin Winsor Library History Essay<https://bit.ly/3ihV32T>

ALA PUBLISHING

Celebrating how library workers are making a difference for their communities<https://bit.ly/2ZiMmNa>

Jennifer L. Dean - PhD, MLIS - she, her, hers
MLA Board of Directors and ALA Councilor

Dean of Libraries and Instructional Technology
University of Detroit Mercy
deanjl at udmercy.edu

Sent using Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>