[Michlib-l] Germs and planning ahead

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Wed Mar 4 11:59:43 EST 2020

Hello Everyone,

Reaching out to see what conversations you are having with staff regarding their (very real and valid) concerns about germs and planning ahead in case of an outbreak (whether the flu, cold, or covid19).

In particular, I'm wondering how best to adjust circ staff workflow so they don't have to touch patrons cards or items brought up to the desk. Touching returned items is a whole other workflow.

Perhaps we could simply turn around the scanner to face patrons so they can scan their library card. If it doesn't scan properly, then ask them to place the card with barcode up on the counter. Then have library staff manually enter the number but confirm name and house number to make sure they brought up the correct account. It'll take a moment longer, but result in fewer germs being passed.

As for library items, perhaps ask patrons to place their items on the staff rfid pad one at a time while staff confirms it scanned properly. Basically turn the staff check out into a mediated patron check out.

FYI, we have 1 patron rfid self-check machine and 2 staff-mediated rfid checkouts.

Also, we have a giant bucket of antibacterial wipes that we are using on phones and keyboards at each shift change. We've put antibacterial lotion bottles at each service point. And we added "wash your hands" signs in each bathroom.

CDC Handwashing Sign: https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/index.html

Greenwich Library Post: https://www.greenwichlibrary.org/feeling-sick-stay-home-enjoy-library-resources/

Have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed (she / her / hers)
Library Director
N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources.