[Michlib-l] What we are doing to be proactive about germs

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Fri Mar 6 13:19:22 EST 2020

After much discussion this week with library staff, other library directors, and lots of online homework - this is the email I sent to staff this morning. Below that is info I sent my leadership team with lots of data from the CDC.

Wash your hands, cover your coughs, and if you are sick stay home

Hello Team,

The Leadership Team has been discussing how best to respond to and prepare for germs in the library, whether COVID-19, the flu, or the really bad cold that hit several of us a couple weeks ago.

It is important to note that we have a culture of conscientiousness at our Library, which results in staff coming to work even when sick because they don't want to let down their coworkers. In the current environment, we need to change our definition of "conscientiousness" to mean staying home and not spreading germs. If you have a fever, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches, etc, please stay home until you are symptom free for 24 hours; truly symptom free, not that the symptoms went away because you took cold/flu medicine. If you are simply congested or have a cough, use your best judgement as to whether you feel up to coming to work or if you should stay home. Also, if your cough feels like it is related do our dry library air we have humidifiers you can put near your work station to help that specific area feel better.

We will deal with desk coverage as needed based on call-ins. If you feel an illness coming on, please email the Leadership Team as a group asap. That way if your specific department head is off for the day, another department head can find a substitute. If we reach a situation where there are not enough staff to run the library, we will investigate offering reduced services or closing. We have never reached that point before and we hope we don't any time soon, but best to plan ahead.

What are we doing to be proactive?

Library-wide

  1.  The cleaning company is wiping all high touch points every night, such as doors, tables tops, keyboards, phones, etc. They upgraded from the regular antibacterial cleaner to a hospital grade cleaner.
  2.  We have put out Kleenex, antibacterial wipes, and sanitizing lotion for staff and patrons to use.
  3.  We put up signs in the public restrooms reminding people to wash their hands.
     *   https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/index.html
  4.  We plan to put up signs on the front doors and website that say something like: Feeling Sick? Stay Home and Enjoy these Library Resources
     *   Check out this website for our inspiration: https://www.greenwichlibrary.org/feeling-sick-stay-home-enjoy-library-resources/
  5.  Staff should wipe down keyboards and phones at all shift changes, and in between as needed
  6.  FYI, other libraries the Library Director spoke with said they allow staff to use gloves if they want to. Currently we are leaving the decision up to each staff member. There are disposable gloves available if you prefer to wear those while handling materials. Please let your department head know when the supply is running low.
  7.  Each department is adjusting workflows to reduce touch-points with patrons. Alas, it is impossible to eliminate touch-points with “items.”
     *   Circ Services
        *   Providing sanitizing lotion and Kleenex to patrons
        *   Having patrons scan their own cards
        *   Wiping down laptops when they are returned
     *   Youth Services
        *   Providing sanitizing lotion and Kleenex to patrons
        *   During Storytime registration next week YS staff will remind caregivers to skip storytime if they or the child is ill.
        *   Wiping down Chromebooks when they are returned
        *   Created a “Yucky” basket for parents to place toys kids chewed or sneezed on.
        *   Rotating which toys are available to play with so some sit in the back each day and let the germs die off or get cleaned. From what is available online, most viruses can live on an inanimate object for only 48-72 hours.
           *   There is not enough data yet to know if COVID-19 acts like a cold, flu, or something that lasts longer so our current approach is to be cautious.  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/how-long-do-cold-and-flu-viruses-stay-contagious-on-public-surfaces<https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/how-long-do-cold-and-flu-viruses-stay-contagious-on-public-surfaces>
     *   Adult Services
        *   Providing sanitizing lotion and Kleenex to patrons
        *   Contacting people registered for programs and gently reminding them to stay home if they are sick.
  8.  The Library Director will be going to Costco this weekend and plans to purchase more sanitizing gel, wipes, and hand lotion (bc our hands are getting dried out from the alcohol). Anything else you think we should purchase at this time?
  9.  The Head of Circulation is working on a Continuity of Operations (COOP) Plan as recommended by the CDC for workplaces. Such a plan will describe who makes the plan to close the library and the phone-tree for contacting staff to inform them. (see link below for more details)
As always if you have any comments, questions, or concerns feel free to stop by my office or email me any time.

Here's are some good summaries from Wisconsin.gov and the CDC

1)    https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/outbreaks/index.htm

“While we have one confirmed case of coronavirus here in Wisconsin, Governor Tony Evers and DHS Secretary designee Andrea Palm emphasize that the risk to the general public is very low… Wash your hands, cover your coughs, and if you are sick stay home.” (emphasize added by Library Director: this is the key take-away from everything available at this point)

2)    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/dis_courses/coop/index.html
This course defines and describes continuity of operations (COOP) planning and why it is important for libraries to have a continuity plan in case of emergencies.

3)    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/election-polling-locations.html
“This guidance provides recommendations on the routine cleaning and disinfection of … areas and associated electronic equipment …. It suggests actions that … workers can take to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 by limiting the survival of the virus in the environment.”

4)    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/guidance-business-response.html

     *   Library Director’s take-aways, follow link to read full text
     *   Recommended strategies for employers to use now:
     *   “Actively encourage sick employees to stay home
        *   Employees who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness are recommended to stay home and not come to work until they are free of fever (100.4° F [37.8° C] or greater using an oral thermometer), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants). Employees should notify their supervisor and stay home if they are sick.
     *   Separate sick employees
        *   CDC recommends that employees who appear to have acute respiratory illness symptoms (i.e. cough, shortness of breath) upon arrival to work or become sick during the day should be separated from other employees and be sent home immediately. Sick employees should cover their noses and mouths with a tissue when coughing or sneezing (or an elbow or shoulder if no tissue is available).
     *   Emphasize staying home when sick, respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene by all employees
     *   Perform routine environmental cleaning
     *   Advise employees before traveling to take certain steps
        *   Ensure employees who become sick while traveling or on temporary assignment understand that they should notify their supervisor and should promptly call a healthcare provider for advice if needed.
     *   Additional Measures in Response to Currently Occurring Sporadic Importations of the COVID-19
        *   Employees who are well but who have a sick family member at home with COVID-19 should notify their supervisor and refer to CDC guidance for how to conduct a risk assessment<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/risk-assessment.html> of their potential exposure.
        *   If an employee is confirmed to have COVID-19, employers should inform fellow employees of their possible exposure to COVID-19 in the workplace but maintain confidentiality as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Employees exposed to a co-worker with confirmed COVID-19 should refer to CDC guidance for how to conduct a risk assessment<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/risk-assessment.html> of their potential exposure.”
Have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed (she / her / hers)
Library Director