[Michlib-l] COVID-19 prevention: Let's discuss next steps

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Thu Mar 12 11:42:49 EDT 2020

Hello Everyone,

Someone asked me what my library was thinking of doing when I mentioned reducing services. Below is my response.

Additionally, now is a good time to start planning to prevent a crisis in your community, not just respond to one if/when it happens. As librarians we may need to reframe our thoughts about how to best serve our patrons. Typically that means staying open at all costs, even in blizzards or artic blasts. But in this case, is "how to best serve our patrons" mean reducing opportunities for exposure by cancelling programs and paring down in-library services? Just putting that out there for people to think on and discuss. I was up all night with this running through my head.

Today we are contacting everyone with a program or reservation next week to inform them that we are considering cancelling programs due to the need for "social distancing".

Also, we have been talking about:
1) Removing all toys. For now, we've removed some and clean the others.
2) Removing some of the chairs from the study tables to force social distancing in the departments.
3) At the extreme end: close off each wing of the library (Adult services and Youth services). Patrons will then only be able to come in and use the front circ desk to pick-up holds. We may set it up so they can get to the AS or YS desks and requests books, then staff will walk over and get that item off the shelf and hand it to them to check out.
4) Setting aside all materials as they come in for 48-72 hours to allow the virus to die off before we handle it. This would require noting the dates on bins for when they were returned and then back-dating.

For those who ask, "is it really that bad."

  1.  Use Italy as the example. Do we want to be part of that? Do we want to add to transmission by ignoring recommendations?
  2.  The CDC mentions social distancing as a means to prevent the spread of the virus.
     *   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/index.html

“Community-based interventions such as school dismissals, event cancellations, social distancing, and creating employee plans to work remotely can help slow the spread of COVID-19."
  3.  Alas, working remotely is difficult to impossible for most library staff, but so we need to focus on the other recommendations.
  4.  While social distancing is not mandated, I believe it is best practice for us to meet or exceed the recommendations; not to ignore them or do "less than" suggested.
  5.  Front of my mind is something I heard years ago at a safety training. The presenter had been in HR and training for decades. He mentioned working with DPW departments across the state and the new recommended standards for protecting DPW workers so they don’t die (i.e. from collapsing trench walls if not properly supported; gas leaks in enclosed spaces). He stated some DPW directors would say they were fine as is. His response was (paraphrased from memory): Who has to die for you to do something? Pick an employee and mark him for death. So I stayed awake last night thinking of that. Which library staff member or which community member has to die before we cancel programs and reduce services?
  6.  I’d rather be overly cautious and have nothing happen and then be teased for “overreacting” than delay/ignore, have something bad happen, and feel responsible.
I had the epiphany yesterday that as someone who lives with asthma, I am in the "high risk" category. I have to be extra concerned bc this is a respiratory disease. I am now at work with my darth-vader-looking face mask on in my office, so I can still work but try to reduce the chance of getting the virus.

https://community.aafa.org/blog/coronavirus-2019-ncov-flu-what-people-with-asthma-need-to-know
The CDC has also released new guidelines for people who are at high risk, which includes people with asthma. They recommend people at high risk:

  *   Stock up on supplies (a 14-day supply)
  *   Take steps to keep a distance from others
  *   Avoid people who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often
  *   Avoid crowds as much as possible
Have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed (she / her / hers)
Library Director
N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources.