[Michlib-l] Whitefish Bay Public Library (WI) closure and next steps

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Fri Mar 13 22:17:24 EDT 2020

Hello Everyone.

What a difference 8 hours make. We started the day with announcing the cancellation of library programs and reservations. Ended with closing the library for 9 days. FYI, we are suburban Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. As of this afternoon the governor closed all k-12 schools for 4 weeks.

At 5pm today we announced our library will be closed. See below for wording. Thankfully the Village stated all employees, regardless of department or pt/ft status, will be paid per their regular scheduled hours. They do not have to use sick/vacation time or go unpaid.

During the closure:

  1.  we locked our drop box and put signs on it. We don't want to return to a pile of thousands of items and I don't want staff touching items to check them in next week if those items might have virus on them.
  2.  the system has reset all of our items checked out to a due date of 4/3.
  3.  this will stop our items from accruing fines. However, if patrons have out items from other libraries in the system those will still be due and accrue fines. We recommended keeping our items at home until we reopen, but return other libraries' items to another library in the system if they are open.
  4.  all patron cards set to expire in March or April were extended to a June expiration so people won't be blocked from using digital materials if they were to expire next week.
  5.  the system is figuring out what to do with holds, whether already on our shelves, in transit, or waiting to be pulled and filled.
  6.  During the closure only department heads will work, whether in the closed library or remotely. We will focus on developing plans for reduced operations if we reopen 3/23.
  7.  Dept heads will also work on recording how-to videos for using online resources, paying fines online to remove blocks so they can use online resources, and how to reset a pin via online. We are also trying to find non-copyrighted materials to record "storytime" videos.
  8.  The cleaning crew will still come to the library per their daily schedule. They'll do their usual cleaning today. After tonight they will work on sanitizing every single surface in the library bit by bit each night. The goal is to have the entire library sanitized before we reopen.
  9.  Also, Greenfield Public Library announced indefinite closure, estimating 30-60 days. Oak Creek Library announced a 2 week closure. Other Milwaukee County libraries (we are each independent) are planning to stay open with reduced services. But everything is changing by the hour and day.

Text of announcement:
Given the announcement of the first active COVID-19 case in Milwaukee County and the closure of schools from Shorewood to Port Washingston for 4 weeks... Whitefish Bay Public Library is closing for all service effective immediately through Sunday March 22nd. The closure will enable staff to monitor the development of COVID-19 in our area and determine whether to re-open with reduced services on Monday March 23rd.
All Whitefish Bay Public Library items currently checked out will be updated with a due date of April 3. If you have items from other libraries, they will still have their regular due dates and we cannot waive the fines.
Please check our website for updates as the landscape is changing rapidly. www.wfblibrary.org.<http://www.wfblibrary.org/?fbclid=IwAR06PMCujb9VmfT4ua4LNxV6u3iGQmn-BEFMbpG0-IT2gwg58UPeMZtVxsQ>

Thank you for your understanding as we work to protect the health of WFBPL patrons and staff.

Have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed (she / her / hers)
Library Director
N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources.