[Michlib-l] Cultural Humility in Public Libraries: Colleagues & Customers - Online Course

Atkin, Evette (MDE) AtkinE at michigan.gov
Tue Mar 24 11:25:30 EDT 2020

Cultural Humility in Public Libraries: Colleagues & Customers<https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=896&reset=1>
Online Course
Source: InforPeople.org<https://www.infopeople.org/>
Cost: $150
Start: April 21st, 2020 12:00 PM
End: May 4th, 2020 4:30 PM

Are you curious about the term cultural humility? At its root, cultural humility requires one to acknowledge inequality and take action. This online course will introduce the concept of cultural humility as a professional tool in the library. We will focus on your role as colleague and as a professional and will link the concepts of cultural humility to librarianship. We will explore personal identity and culture. We will also examine how culture and identity translate to a deliberate practice of cultural humility in the workplace.
By the end of the course you will be able to:

  *   Define cultural humility and cultural competence
  *   Name three ways to implement cultural humility in your interactions with colleagues
  *   Name three ways to implement cultural humility in your interactions with clients or patrons
  *   Write an action plan to adopt cultural humility as a colleague
  *   Create an identity collage as a way to examine your identity and reflect on how cultural identity shapes worldviews
  *   Identify one short term goal and one long term goal for your  practice of cultural humility with colleagues and patrons
Course Description: Through online meetings, assignments, and discussions we will explore the concept of cultural humility. You will complete a cultural humility action plan and an identity collage. The instructor will provide resources, and concrete tips and techniques that can be applied immediately. During the course, you will participate in discussion forums and online meeting about cultural humility and identity. You will be able to share experiences and apply the concepts learned to your own library and community.

Are you and ARSL Member? You may be eligible for an InfoPeople Course Waiver<https://infopeople.org/content/rural-library-course-fee-waiver-form>.

This course is eligible for a Continuing Education Stipend<https://www.michigan.gov/cestipend>.

Evette M. Atkin
Continuing Education Consultant