[Michlib-l] ALA News: American Library Association cancels 2020 Annual Conference due to COVID-19

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Tue Mar 24 19:01:47 EDT 2020

Thinking of all of you - hope you are healthy & safe, wherever you are.

Jennifer

American Library Association cancels 2020 Annual Conference due to COVID-19<https://bit.ly/3bplakm>

The American Library Association’s Executive Board announced today that the 2020 ALA Annual Conference & Exhibition scheduled for June 25-30 in Chicago has been canceled.

“ALA’s priority is the health and safety of the library community, including our members, staff, supporters, vendors and volunteers,” said Wanda K. Brown, ALA president. “As the COVID-19 pandemic unfolds, it’s become clear that in the face of an unprecedented situation, we need to make tough choices.”

2020 will mark the first time in 75 years that ALA has not held an Annual Conference. The last cancellation took place in 1945 as World War II neared its end. Read more<https://bit.ly/3bplakm>

American Library Association recommends libraries leave WiFi open during closures<https://bit.ly/3bnenHJ>

The American Library Association (ALA) Executive Board released the following recommendation to libraries during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Read more<https://bit.ly/3bnenHJ>

Booklist announces free online access for all<https://bit.ly/2WIlCWS>

All Booklist and Book Links content on www.booklistonline.com<http://www.booklistonline.com/> is freely available until further notice.

“The COVID-19 threat is unprecedented and will continue to cause extreme disruption, both personally and professionally,” said George Kendall, editor and publisher of Booklist Publications. “At Booklist, published by the American Library Association, we want to help minimize these disruptions where we can for all library staff along with their students and patrons. With that in mind, we hope the following information and resources will be helpful.” Read more<https://bit.ly/2WIlCWS>

ALA welcomes Penguin Random House’s expanded library access to e-books and audiobooks<https://bit.ly/2WHu092>

The American Library Association (ALA) welcomes the decision by Penguin Random House (PRH) to add new temporary pricing options for digital content purchased by school and public libraries.

“By offering more flexible terms of sale and use, PRH is making it easier for libraries to support our communities in a period of unprecedented need for at-home reading and learning materials,” said ALA Senior Director of Public Policy and Government Relations Alan Inouye. “Libraries need more flexibility to meet changing demands, particularly when some patrons are sheltering at home and some library buildings are temporarily closed to the public.”  Read more<https://bit.ly/2WHu092>

ASGCLA COVID-19 Resources<https://bit.ly/3akGsiI>

As ASGCLA members participate in social distancing, our Consumer Health Information Interest Group has put together a list of go-to resources for COVID-19. The wide variety of resources provide information to help navigate through these uncertain times. Read more<https://bit.ly/3akGsiI>

ALSC announces 2020 Notable Children’s Digital Media list<https://bit.ly/3duGeHK>

The Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), is pleased to announce its 2020 list of outstanding digital media for children. The list includes real-time, dynamic and interactive media content for children 14 years of age and younger that enables and encourages active engagement and social interaction while informing, educating and entertaining in exemplary ways. Read more<https://bit.ly/3duGeHK>

AWARDS AND GRANTS

Henry Reichman Receives IFRT Oboler Memorial Award<https://bit.ly/33Knb8b>

ALA PUBLISHING

Delivering impact with digital resources
<https://bit.ly/3alOrfy>

Jennifer L. Dean - PhD, MLIS - she, her, hers
MLA Board of Directors & ALA Councilor

Dean of Libraries and Instructional Technology
University of Detroit Mercy
deanjl at udmercy.edu

Sent using Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>