[Michlib-l] Gateless libraries

Don Priest dpriest at southgate.lib.mi.us
Thu May 7 08:44:19 EDT 2020

We're having some work done, updating the library a bit, and I've been considering the merits of removing our security gates. Personally, I think they just keep the honest people honest, and those who want to steal, will. I'd like to hear from any other library that may have removed security gates, find out what your experiences have been. What prompted you to make the change, have you noticed an increase in lost/missing items, do you try to keep good track of loss, what kind of security do you still have in place, anything you think would help me make a decision. Thanks!

Donald Priest
Director
Southgate Veterans Memorial Library
14680 Dix-Toledo Rd.