[Michlib-l] RBdigital Unlimited Magazines: Easy To Change Display Order

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon May 11 08:44:14 EDT 2020

Good Morning,

Library cooperative directors, could you please share this with your member libraries. Thank you.

Thanks to a suggestion from Matt Church, Director, Berkley Public Library, I have reorganized the TLN Unlimited Magazines collection [ https://www.rbdigital.com/thelibrarynetworkmi/service/magazines/landing | https://www.rbdigital.com/thelibrarynetworkmi/service/magazines/landing ] so as to display in order of popularity, by greatest number of circs during the past six months. Previously, the process to reorganize the display of the tiles, even when there were "only" 300 of them, was a slow and laborious one. So it only happened once per year. Now it is easy to change the order so as to display according to popularity, which is a very good thing when you have 3,600+ titles.

For libraries that now have their own unique URL with RBdigital that "mirrors" the TLN magazine collection, this change of display order is any easy thing you can do yourself. Simply log in to the admin console of RBdigital, select Service Subscriptions at the top, select Magazines on the left, then click Collection Manager. At the top is a small blank box named "Order by Circs." Check that box, wait a bit, and the process of reorganizing your titles by number of circs, highest to lowest during the past six months, will begin. When finished you will see the new order on your admin console. It takes an overnight run for the new order to become visible on the public side.

Earlier this morning I ran a usage report for the TLN collection. I was curious to see if patrons had discovered and were starting to use, the new titles. The answer is yes, they have and they are. Of our 3,600 or so total titles, nearly one-third of them, close to 1,200 titles, have already had at least one checkout so far in May. And while none of the new titles have moved into the top 10 in terms of popularity, there are a number of them that have cracked the top 100. Total checkouts on the consortial side for the month of May as of the time I ran the report were a bit more than 16,000.

I hope your patrons enjoy their expanded, 3,600+ titles RBdigital Magazines collection. And remember, it isn't too late for your library to sign up! Please let me know if you would like a price quote for any of the five discounted price, RBdigital services for your library.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager