[Michlib-l] Outreach from MI Department of State

Reinhardt, Sarah (MDOS) ReinhardtS at michigan.gov
Wed May 20 12:01:58 EDT 2020

Greetings,

I hope this email finds you safe and well. On behalf of the Michigan Department of State and Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, we are pleased to invite you, your members and community to the State-Wide Redistricting Virtual Town Hall to discuss Michigan's first ever citizen-led redistricting commission, opened by Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson and co-hosted by the Michigan League of Women Voters.

The Redistricting Virtual Town Hall will be THIS THURSDAY at 5:00PM (Click here to RSVP<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_HWykVk0zRDiZQW1eTrF2mg?fbclid=IwAR2TbDfmCqjfIrtLGFEkxz0LsFZAfUrq-ts4xQK1bLDFNzIEmdS-dAHBFZs>)

As we enter the final two weeks of the application period, we're eager to engage you and your community to invite them to apply and inform them about our new free online notary services and email submission option for applications. We would greatly appreciate it if you could share this invitation with your members to encourage them to attend and learn about this historic opportunity. I have included several graphics, as well as a draft email invitation for your circulation below the line.
You can also follow and share news about this event from our redistricting social media at @redistrictingMI on Twitter<https://twitter.com/RedistrictingMI>, Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/RedistrictingMI/>, and Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/redistrictingmi/>.
Thank you, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kindest regards,

Sarah Reinhardt
Departmental Analyst
Michigan Department of State
Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson
ReinhardtS at Michigan.gov<mailto:ReinhardtS at Michigan.gov>

Greetings,

On behalf of the Michigan Department of State and Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, we are pleased to invite you to the State-Wide Redistricting Virtual Town Hall to discuss Michigan's first ever citizen-led redistricting commission, co-hosted by State of Michigan's League of Women Voters.

The Redistricting Virtual Town Hall will be THIS THURSDAY at 5:00PM (Click here to RSVP<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_HWykVk0zRDiZQW1eTrF2mg?fbclid=IwAR2TbDfmCqjfIrtLGFEkxz0LsFZAfUrq-ts4xQK1bLDFNzIEmdS-dAHBFZs>)

The application deadline is June 1 - less than one month away - so we encourage you to act fast and apply now at Michigan.gov/Redistricting<http://www.Michigan.gov/redistricting>. Applying has never been easier, with email submission of applications to the Michigan Department of State and online notarization. Please visit Michigan.gov/FreeNotary<http://www.Michigan.gov/freenotary> to learn more.

Details on Michigan's Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission and why it matters to YOU are listed below.

What is Redistricting?
Every 10 years following the U.S. Census, district lines for political offices must be redrawn in states across the country to accurately reflect their population. These districts determine political representation.

What is Michigan's Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission?
In Michigan, a randomly selected commission of citizens is responsible for drawing U.S. congressional and state House and Senate district lines for Michigan elections. These districts determine political representation. In 2018, voters amended the state constitution to make citizens, not legislators or special interests, responsible for drawing district lines.

Why should YOU apply?
You can ensure people like YOU and those in your community have a voice at the table by applying today! Looking for more great reasons to apply?

  1.  Give a voice to your community
  2.  Create more fair and representative elections in Michigan
  3.  Receive $40,000 compensation
  4.  Add amazing professional experience to your resume
  5.  Participate in a once-in-a-decade opportunity
  6.  Make history by serving on Michigan's first-ever redistricting commission
Who can apply?
All registered voters in the state of Michigan are welcome to apply. The constitutional amendment establishes a commission of 13 registered voters randomly selected through an application process. Of the 13 commissioners, four will affiliate with the Democratic Party, four will affiliate with the Republican Party, and five will not affiliate with either major political party.

Do you need special skills or experience to apply?
No! Everyday Michiganders will serve on this commission and will be responsible for drawing district lines. No special knowledge or experience is required.

What is the time commitment to serve as a commissioner and what about my current job?
Once seated, the Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission will create its own schedule. While we don't have an exact estimate of the time commitment, a similar commission in California found that the workload varied. Some weeks may be limited to a handful of hours, while others may be much more intensive.
Additionally, the constitution prohibits a selected commissioner's employer from terminating or retaliating against them because of their membership on the Commission. As such, selected commissioners are protected, should they choose to maintain employment while serving on the Commission.

We're eager to engage members of your community and want to invite YOU to apply. This is an extraordinary moment for all Michiganders to get involved and ensure the fairness and integrity of our elections.

If you have any questions about redistricting or about this historic opportunity, you can find out more at our website, RedistrictingMichigan.org<https://redistrictingmichigan.org>, or contact us via social media at @redistrictingMI on Twitter<https://twitter.com/RedistrictingMI>, Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/RedistrictingMI/>, and Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/redistrictingmi/> or email us at Redistricting at Michigan.gov<mailto:Redistricting at Michigan.gov>.

Sincerely,

Office of Constituent Relations