[Michlib-l] Extension of Temporary Closure of Places of Public Accommodation

Cynthia Kleinheksel cjkleinhe at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 16:06:25 EDT 2020

 I believe it's time (or thank you if you have) for librarians to contact the Governor's office and their local leaders to explain to them how public libraries can safely provide curbside service. With some regions open to sit-down restaurants, and retailers allowed to have customers in their stores, public libraries certainly should be allowed to provide curbside service through safe procedures and distancing.

I have emailed and left phone messages for Gov. Whitmer, Dr. Khaldun, and others explaining how policies and procedures have been established to enable safe delivery of "essential" reading materials to patrons. Feeding the mind is, to me, essential. I had agreed with the Governor's EOs until this last one still ignored the public library's ability to safely provide curbside service. We need to be able to recall employees to the library immediately, provide training and PPE, and within days we could safely provide pickup of pre-ordered materials. Incoming materials can be quarantined before reshelving. We are not asking for the doors to be reopened to patrons, just curbside service.
As a retired educator and librarian, I have watched how the digital divide prevented K-12 schools from reaching all kids during the past months. We can't let the summer start without giving those kids without electronic access, and adults, access to reading materials.
Please advocate for immediate curbside service with the Governor, local leaders, and even your TV news stations! Reading is "essential."
Thank you for listening!
Cynthia Kleinheksel
(although I am speaking personally and not for the Board)
Herrick District Library BoardHolland MI