[Michlib-l] No kid hungry...

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri May 29 12:07:24 EDT 2020

Hello Libraries!

Did you know that Michigan's public library sites served 33,025 meals in the summer of 2019? That was an increase of 46% from 2018!!!  With 50 libraries serving as sites last year, I think we can certainly strive for even greater impact in 2020. To become a Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) site go to: https://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-66254_34491---,00.html for details.  June 3rd is the deadline, but sponsors can continue to add sites for a few more weeks.

Learn more!
On this morning's webinar with Sara Harmon of the Michigan Department of Education's Office of Health & Nutrition, we talked about the Summer Food Service Program<https://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-66254_34491---,00.html> and their "Meet Up, Eat Up, & Read Up" campaign. There are a lot of waivers and extensions to this year's program, so take a listen. Your library might want to consider being a "Grab & Go" site...
To watch the recording go to:
https://michigan-host.zoom.us/rec/share/6s5OEp_6tXlIQc-dwUzifLALB461X6a81yQX-fcLmRyRU-ik96j7Dtxp-VabgAe6 Password: 0v%2%WB2
The slides are attached or you can access the SFSP slides online<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VEYCnRdPfNsMU7jBVEhhBuR1_skxEhwA/view?usp=sharing>.

The Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) also has a great "Libraries and Summer Food" site: https://www.cslpreads.org/libraries-and-summer-food/ with resources, planning ideas, and other ways to help.

Reach out!
Connect with a local sponsor<https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/2017_Sponsor_Directory_610745_7.pdf> to become a site.  Can't find a sponsor in your area? Reach out to local school system or businesses to see how you might collaborate, or even become a sponsor location to provide shelf stable meals/snacks (you don't need a kitchen). Sara addresses such ideas in the webinar linked above.
Don't forget, CSLP/LM created Read Up!<https://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/LM_2020_SFSP_Read_Up_Guide_689895_7.pdf> - a guide for Summer Food Service Program sites<https://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/LM_2020_SFSP_Read_Up_Guide_689895_7.pdf> with enrichment activities that support summer reading, created with support from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. You can edit this guide to insert your library information and provide copies to sponsors/sites in your region.

Let's not let our youth go hungry this summer,

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.