[Michlib-l] virtual program recommendation

Saffert, Carli csaffert at sccl.lib.mi.us
Wed Oct 14 09:56:44 EDT 2020

Donna Searight Simons, author of Copper Empire, is available to do virtual presentations via Zoom regarding the 1913 strike in Michigan's Copper Country. We have hosted her here in St. Clair County in the past, and we had a great response.

In 1913, thousands of copper miners went out on strike in the Copper Country. This labor strike tore the community in two; some people sympathized with the miners' dangerous working conditions, while others sided with mine and business owners. As the strike entered its sixth month, the women's auxiliary decided to hold a Christmas party for miners and their families at Italian Hall in Calumet. During the party, someone shouted fire which caused people to panic and run down the stairwell. When someone tripped on the stairs, it caused a domino effect as people trampled onto one another. Over 70 people were killed.

Donna has done many presentations on this topic at libraries throughout Michigan and has written a work of historical fiction titled Copper Empire. Her Power Point presentation is 40 minutes long and includes historical photos borrowed from Michigan Technological University along with a video.  She is also available to answer questions from the audience following the presentation.

You can reach Donna at dksyooper at yahoo.com<mailto:dksyooper at yahoo.com> for further details.

Carli Saffert, MLIS
Reference Librarian
St. Clair County Library