[Michlib-l] Part-time Youth para-professional job opening

Lisa Hoenig lisa at ypsilibrary.org
Mon Oct 26 14:24:28 EDT 2020

Hello!

The Ypsilanti District Library has an opening for a part-time Youth Para-professional at our Michigan Avenue location. Applications are welcomed at the address below, or can be sent to my email.

Lisa

Lisa Hoenig, Director
Ypsilanti District Library
5577 Whittaker Road
Ypsilanti, MI  48197

(734) 879-1300
www.ypsilibrary.org<http://www.ypsilibrary.org/>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6ABA3.B6632C60]

**
J O B   P O S T I N G
YPSILANTI DISTRICT LIBRARY
Part-Time Paraprofessional-YDL-Michigan Avenue Youth Department

DATE:             October 26, 2020
POSITION:     YDL - Youth Department Paraprofessional (.5 FTE, 20 hours per week)

ABOUT THE YDL-MICHIGAN AVE YOUTH TEAM
The YDL-Michigan Avenue Youth Department is a team of four who work together to engage youth and their families at the library and beyond, by inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to information and diverse ideas through our collections, technology, programs, and community connections.  We plan programs, develop collections, provide school support, and create welcoming youth and teen areas. We work closely with staff across YDL and with other local organizations to serve families, tweens and teens throughout the community. We focus on early learning, hands-on STEAM, creating a welcoming, inclusive environment, and elevating youth voices.

ABOUT THE POSITION
The ideal candidate for this job will be passionate about serving a diverse community, empowering kids, parents, and teens to engage with and enjoy coming to the library.  Paraprofessional duties assigned by the YDL-Michigan Branch Manager will include but are not limited to the following:

 *   Helping kids and parents find books and information in the Youth Department.
 *   Assisting families in the use of computers, iPads, digital books, printing, and other library technology.
 *   Marketing library materials by creating booklists and displays.
 *   Engaging with youth to help them feel welcome in the library.
 *   Planning and leading library programs for youth, families and teens.
 *   Attending department meetings to help set team goals and develop new services to meet community needs.
 *   Completing special projects as assigned.
 *   Forming and maintaining community partnerships to better serve families.
QUALIFICATIONS

 *   Associate's Degree or equivalent. Formal training in a child-related field or experience working with youth desired.
 *   Demonstrated ability to work with families and youth from diverse populations.
 *   Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
 *   Strong commitment to providing quality customer service.
 *   Ability to function in a professional manner, work independently, and use good judgment.
 *   Enthusiastic and dependable team player.
 *   Creative problem solving skills and flexibility to adapt to changing community needs.
 *   Proficiency with technology, including Microsoft Office and social media tools.
 *   Strong desire to engage, nurture, and mentor children birth-18, their parents, caregivers and teachers.
 *   Ability to organize, prioritize, and coordinate multiple tasks.
 *   Knowledge of children's literature, youth development, and early learning concepts desired.
HOURS
Part-time, 20 hours per week (including regularly scheduled evenings and weekends). Hours are flexible and some work can be done remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. The library is currently maintaining the safety of employees by requiring masks and social distancing, and providing curbside patron services while closed.

SALARY/BENEFITS
Hourly wage starting at $14.72. Pro-rated paid time off and holidays. Employer paid retirement contribution after one year of service. This position is part of the AFSCME union bargaining unit.

TO APPLY
Send resume, cover letter, & application form (available at www.ypsilibrary.org<http://www.ypsilibrary.org>) by Monday, November 9, 2020 to:

                           Human Resources                                 or lisa at ypsilibrary.org<mailto:lisa at ypsilibrary.org>
                           Ypsilanti District Library
                           5577 Whittaker Road
                           Ypsilanti, Michigan  48197

The Ypsilanti District Library is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse workforce, and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, or age. YDL has an internal workgroup dedicated to equity, diversity, and inclusion, with the goal of a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels, of the citizens we serve, to support a more equitable future for all.