[Michlib-l] online event next week: the history and impacts of mass incarceration

Katie Wittenauer kwittenauer at mihumanities.org
Thu Sep 24 11:06:49 EDT 2020

Greetings from Michigan Humanities,

On Thursday, October 1, from 7-8 p.m., we will host our third Bridging Michigan virtual event, featuring a dialogue between Dr. Paul Elam and Troy Rienstra about the history and impacts of mass incarceration.

Registration is free, and available online here<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/2915992519732/WN_w9VsNckxRf6zX4wwPLtRTw>. Upon registration, attendees will receive a link to the event. Questions can be submitted on the registration form and during the Q&A portion of the online, webinar-style event.

Bridging Michigan is an event series and new grant opportunity that will spark in-depth conversation and action around the persistent social, economic, and cultural issues of systemic inequities that divide our communities. You can read more about our October 1 event and the current Bridging Michigan grant opportunity by visiting the Michigan Humanities website<https://www.michiganhumanities.org/bridging-michigan/>.

FEATURED SPEAKER HIGHLIGHTS:

Paul Elam, PhD, serves as Michigan Public Health Institute's Chief Strategy Officer. He is responsible for aligning the priorities of MPHI with national interests as well as diversifying the Institute’s portfolio to address cutting edge issues that affect the health and well-being of our society.

Troy Rienstra is director of outreach with Safe & Just Michigan where he works to advance the organization’s outreach program by elevating the voices of people directly harmed by the effects of crime and punishment. He is responsible for outreach activities to crime survivors, formerly incarcerated individuals, and their family members, and the faith community.

We look forward to having you join us online!

Best,
Katie

Katie Wittenauer
Director of Programs