[Michlib-l] circulating board games- compiled results

Laura Hauch - Buchanan District Library laura.hauch at buchananlibrary.com
Fri Apr 2 16:08:35 EDT 2021

Hello library land, I had inquired about circulating board games earlier this week, and received several requests to share responses, so here are the compiled responses. A few had sent photos, so I am attaching those.

>From Coloma-   We are circulating puzzles and have similar concerns, but another library recently recommended an idea we are going to try.  They recommended getting an accurate postal scale<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z44Y5P9/?coliid=I2KLCGS9DRMQA7&colid=2TEX4Y12A0B3Y&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it>.  They weigh their games when returned. If the weight is off by a bit, then they check the pieces, otherwise they don't worry about it.  They said it works well.

>From Loutit- We hope to add a circ'ing board game collection and found a neighboring library that weighs the games on a kitchen scale when they are returned.  And if the weight is off much they look closer.
We are also going to be focusing on games that if you lose a piece or two, it doesn't ruin the game.

>From Traverse Area- We have a sheet that goes with every game listing some information and parts included. The list includes how many of each piece should be included. The box also includes a "please take care of this game and let us know if any parts are missing" sheet. When the games are returned we check this sheet for notes and glance through the box to see that it looks ok. We don't count the pieces. When pieces are missing we call the patron to have them look for them. If they can't find the part(s) we contact the company and see if we can get a replacement. The company will often give you a part at no charge, or just charge for shipping. So far we have not charged anyone for missing pieces. We also expect to print replacement parts on our 3d printer if necessary in the future. We have only had our game collection for a year and 1/2.

> [...]

Several people who wanted responses shared mentioned puzzles. Buchanan has been considering circulating puzzles for quite some time now, and I took note from an inquiry that went out on Michlib a while ago- making puzzles be a self-weeding collection. The vast majority of our puzzles have been donated. We're including a form that encourages patrons to let us know if pieces are missing. When someone says pieces are missing, it's time for the puzzle to go. We don't have plans on counting those. Though the scale idea may work well here, too. Thank you so much to everyone who responded; there are some good ideas here!

Laura Hauch
Collection and IT Coordinator
Buchanan District Library
128 East Front Street