[Michlib-l] Juvenile Fiction Terminology

Michael Stohrer mstohrer at brandonlibrary.org
Wed Apr 21 11:55:21 EDT 2021

Hello!

I have a terminology question I'm sure someone here can answer: I work in
the youth department of my library, and we have many patrons who ask for
books that are on "the easy side of chapter books." To meet this need, we'd
like to highlight books for readers who are transitioning from the levelled
readers section to the general J FIC books. These books would be identified
with a sticker on the spine.

The characteristics of these books may include...

   -

   frequent illustrations
   -

   between 75 and 135 pages
   -

   larger-than-usual typeface
   -

   accessible subject-matter

Examples include...

   -

   The Adventures of Caveboy - Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen and Eric Wright
   -

   The Chicken Squad - Doreen Cronin and Kevin Cornell
   -

   Princess Pistachio - Marie-Louise Gay
   -

   Mokie & Bik - Wendy Orr and Jonathan Bean
   -

   The Dragon Masters series - Tracey West and Damien Jones

We can't seem to pin down an ideal term for this category, and we would
appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you!

*Michael Stohrer*

Library Associate

Brandon Township Public Library

304 South Street

Ortonville, MI 48462

*ENGAGE **•** EDUCATE **•** ENRICH **•** EMPOWER*

*Currently Reading*: *Save It for **Later**:* *Promises, Parenthood, and
the Urgency of Protest * -  Nate Powell