[Michlib-l] Discomfort with Wednesday post about "neutrality"

Betty Adams badams at inksterlibrary.org
Thu Apr 22 16:50:14 EDT 2021

Hi all!

I'd like to take this opportunity to keep this conversation going, but in a
way that isn't so reliant on written word, rather spoken. Please consider
filling out this super short (6 questions) survey to gauge interest in
creating a townhall discussion (or series of discussions) about the topic
of neutrality. If you are interested in potentially getting this off the
ground, please fill out the survey and you can always email me off-list
with ideas/questions.

https://forms.gle/hfcAR4pikRx35sZN8

I will apologize now for the repost of this survey to the main michlib, so
the broader audience can chime in with this survey too.

Be well all,
Betty

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 4:02 PM Sharon Crotser-Toy via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Interesting discussion! I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts,
> experiences and interpretations. You've all inspired me to add my own!
>
> First of all, I believe this is an appropriate vehicle for the discussion,
> and I'm glad it was raised here.
> Secondly, I have always interpreted my own role in collection development
> as acquiring the best that's out there. My patrons generally do not have
> the same access or tools to find out about new titles, formats, resources,
> etc., that I do, nor do they have the time to take on that level of
> digging. I do. I'm paid to do just that. I am supposed to be part of the
> group that brings the world into our small library. In fact, I've used that
> phrase countless times over the years, "Discover the world at your
> library", and I've seen countless pairs of children's eyes light up at that
> thought. It inspires me still, today!
> Lastly, I see it as my job to provide what I know my community already
> enjoys and to share with them those gems they might never know of,
> otherwise. The fact that these may include ideas differing from the
> community's dominant culture is just a win-win for us all. We can never
> know exactly what our community members may want, no matter how
> homogeneous it may appear to be. We offer diversity because human beings
> are interesting and complex, no matter our outward appearance.
>
> It's a celebration of human growth, thought and culture. That's what I
> think we're about. And everyone is invited to the party!
>
> Thanks, again, for raising this topic, and for this platform to share our
> own.
> -Sharon
>
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 12:56 PM Kat Boyer via Michlib-l <
> michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>
>> It has come to my attention that I should clarify my statement that; I
>> agree Amy's statement that libraries are for everyone and no one should be
>> made to feel uncomfortable within this space.
>>

>> Kat Boyer
>> Director
>> Benton Harbor Public Library
>> 213 E Wall St.
>> Benton Harbor, MI 49022
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 11:39 AM Kat Boyer <librarykat.15 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to second what Amy has said.
>>> It can be a fine and hard line to determine, as information can have
>>> political ramifications, but librarians are not necessarily to use their
>>> job to make a political stance.  Everyone should feel welcome in the
>>> library, everyone.
>>> Kat Boyer
>>> Director
>>> Benton Harbor Public Library
>>> 213 E Wall St.
>>> Benton Harbor, MI 49022

-Betty Adams

Library Director
Leanna Hicks Public Library of Inkster, MI
badams at inksterlibrary.org

Main Coordinator
Dolly Parton's Imagination Library Detroit
teamdolly at wayne.edu